Recent Cancun Experience, Please Read

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by lets_party, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Here's a few scams/rip offs I've experienced or observed:

1. You visit a bar that advertises beers at 30 pesos each. You order a beer and through the night several more, bunch of friends, beer keeps flowing. Then you ask for your check at the end of the night and discover you didn't specifically ask for the one obscure brand of beer that was 30 pesos (they never told you what that brand was), you asked for a generic beer Sol/Corona etc that was actually 60 pesos each and your bar bill is twice as much as you expected.

2. Beer is advertised as a "'bucket of beer", 6 beers for 150 pesos. You order a bucket of beer. Beer arrives and it is 6 Coronitas. Coronitas are Corona but in a bottle half the size of a regular Corona.

3. In the Corona Bar (now closed so I can mention it by name). Clients would get up to dance. While dancing the bar staff would pick up their drinks and pour half of it on the floor so they order another drink more quickly. Or if they spotted a full one unattended they would pick it up and serve it to another client as if it were fresh and ring it in the till.

4: You buy an open bar wristband at the start of the night, they dont give you the actual band but serve you anyway. The boxing fight you specifically went to that bar to watch is delayed 2 hours from it's advertised start time, so you stay longer than you intended and drink more beer than you thought you would. Boxing fight finishes and you leave, only to be told you haven't paid for the open bar wristband and must pay again!

How much you gonna tip in the above circumstances?

2. MelnReg

MelnReg I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    Yes, you are absolutely right. I certainly didn'y mean to single out Mexico. If you know where I live you know where I'm coming from. Mexico is the only place we like to travel!:ernaehrung015:

3. lets_party

lets_party Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is great post. I feel angry here because the way I grew up is that you don't take anything that's not yours. And if you steal something, you won't be able to digest it because karma is a b*tch. I own restaurant business back in States, and customer service is our first priority. But, I can't compare that against Cancun. At the same time, majority of Cancun workers are looking to milk the customers in anyway they can. Not all of them but when they get opportunity they won't back down from taking advantage of customer and eventually it will reflect upon good guys who are providing honest services.

At the end of the day, I will continue going back to Cancun and encourage my friends to do so as well.

I shouldn't have posted all my bad experice here, because I had a blast in Cancun and service at GrandOasis from the "good staff" was excellent. Food was great and onsite staff was great. And many times, I felt bad about those hotel workers because they were working there rear off and I was pretty sure about their low wages. Like I said, I will be going over and over again to Cancun to support to good stafff and Cancun itself.

My reviews on cheaptickets/expedia/orbitz are all towards good services of Cancun because I love this place.

And oh, I am still young and love to have good times. That said, I will continue to get drunk and have good times....after all that's what my name stands for "lets party", haha.

Thanks for letting me post my bad reviews Steve although my overall trip was one of the best and just few bad things didn't change my entire experience.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This has actually turned out to be a good thread, giving people a chance to learn about what to watch for, but not to be too paranoid about what coming here's going to be like.

The reality is that the planes heading home are full of happy people who are already planning their next visit. (Something like 93% report and overall good experience with their visit.)

My sister used to be a Puerto Vallarta fan, but one visit here changed her mind, and she's a 2X/year guest of Cancun, now. She said the AI experience here was the best ever.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I couldn't get by this part so I decided to jump back into this fray.

What kind of self respecting thief or thieves remove and replace a wallet and cut off a bracelet, yet leave Sr. Boracho Stupido with his cell phone?

Hey Letsparty. Was it by any chance an iPhone, Blackberry or Smart Phone? Or anything a step up from the cheapest of phones? If so, then this/his makes zero sense. If this friend would lie to you about this, then never again can you trust him as you will now never know if his words are truth or lies. Think about that.

Every time I roll a drunk tourist, I get everything of value that I can sell to support my high rolling lifestyle here in rainy as hell Cancun. (Tongue in cheek here readers.)

My greatest fear of living in Cancun has always been, if deciding to take a bus instead of driving, is having a large drunk tourist fall or puke on me on an R-1 bus.

6. lets_party

lets_party Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You brought up excellent point. He had and still has iPhone. He is one of my best friend and I been with him to Cancun for past 7 times so trusting him is no issue at all. Here's what went down:

The same girls we brought to our room (one of them grabbed my hand on way out of Coco Bongo because she was drunk too and wanted to reach back to hotel safe). Anyways, I took her outside the club and my friend was sitting outside CocoBongo almost passed out. I woke him up and took cab.

This is actually funny, I was in front seat of cab and my friend and other girl were in back seat (I stayed in front seat on purpose coz my friend hooked up with this chick a day before). So, upon returning back to the hotel, I realized that my friend and that chick were making out in the back seat already. So, I left them alone and told my friend to pay the cabbie and I went back to the room.

10 minutes after, my friend knocked front door saying that he had no money in his wallet and he needs to borrow $10. That chick was with him but that chick was without money too (because her other friends bounced the club and left her alone at the club without her purse, yea I know it's messed up!!). Anyways, I paid $10 to the cabbie and went back to bed. And, my friend went to that chicks' room for good times, haha.

Second day, he came back to the room at 2 in the afternoon and asked where is his money?? I thought he was playing with me, but he said that his money were missing from wallet but everything else was still there.

We told him that was his freaking fault to be that careless outside of the club sitting drunk. Yet, at 6 in the morning he had "energy" to go back to chick's room for good times. Anyways, he admitted that he was too drunk and don't remember what happened. Regardless, we were on vacation so we decided to forget about that incident, went back to ATM and withdrawal more money. Oh and he got drunk again same time (good thing was that his wallet was inside of a safe in a room) and he got drunk at GrandOasis, so we got him back to the room from pool.

But, yes it was totally his fault to be that drunk. But, dude.....we work our asses off here is States, so while on vacation, we are having wild crazy time and I ain't blaming Cancun folks for that. As a matter of fact, I am thanking Cancun for providing us with some of the best good times.

Only complain I had and still has is the fact that those bartenders at the City (not just at one counter but at multiple counters) were asking for tips after just few drinks. And, they didn't ask for tips nicely, they had mean look on their faces while asked for tips. But, City itself is cool club. I can't change the way bartenders behave nor can I ask my friends to be NOT drink while in Cancun. Shits like this is gonna happen over and over again, all we can do is share experiences and learn from our mistake.

But, I assure you, we have many more drunk nights to come my friend, haha.

Overall, it was best trip and good times...I LOVE Cancun!!

7. lets_party

lets_party Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And, my friend already got mouthful from all of us about how careless he was. And, he paid for $90 because that was his chick who made that mess. There is not excuse for his behavior, he wasn't acting wild or spring break type kid act. But, he was just being careless.

My main complaint was about bartenders of the City and my opinion hasn't changed about them and it won't change either. I am only hoping that other good clubs like Coco Bongo, BullDogs, Daddy Rocks bartenders won't act like the City bartenders otherwise nightlife won't be fun anymore.

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great reply.
    Thanks.

9. kristinanddoug

kristinanddoug Cancun Party Expert Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Yeah, when you go to a place like The City, you definitely want to pool your drinks together. Never go to the bar for just one drink. Get a group of drinks each time and you will find yourself tipping less in the long run but still taking care of your waitstaff.

10. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    If I'm extra thirsty can I just get my order in bulk? :daveandmo:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice