Recent Cancun Experience, Please Read

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by lets_party, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    Devils advocate reply Take with a grain of salt :)

#1 The fact that he had his ''empty'' wallet probably means he over paid for a hooker and can't remember

#2 For $5 you could have enjoyed the rest of your evening like the others that aren't too cheap to tip

#3 Hold her head over the toilet

See how easy it is to have a good time

2. lets_party

lets_party Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I been to Cancun 7 times and every time I get out of clubs in these party zones, there is always someone on the street by the cabbies asking me for three things in this order (1) girls (2) weed (3) more expensive drugs. Do I think it's safe? I know the answer.

It doesn't stop there. Once I pass them road side assistance, there are on street "hookers" waiting for guys by the bus stand and follows them for quickie for $100. Turns out, half of them are man turned into woman. Do I think it's safe? I know the answer.

Last but not least, when I get into the cab. The cab driver shows us calendar of local nude girls and asks us to pick them up while in cab. Then he drives us to near by massage parlor which happens to be next to Police Station. Do I think it's safe? I know the answer.

And in grand finale, I happened to bring back to GrandOasis one gal friend from the club at 4 in the morning. When I got out of cab, the security at the front desk said that I couldn't get her in. FINE I said. Then, he said that if I pass him some green he will let her in. I gave him $20 in cash and she was able to get in.

I love Cancun and I love going there. All I am saying is that just because we are tourist, it don't mean you have to rip us off for every single penny.

You ask yourself a question here. If you bring a guest back to Days Inn or any other hotel back in States, do you think that you will have to pass some green to front desk clerk to let her in?? If you are Mexican tourists and you bring back to the hotel some girl, do you think they will ask you for cash to let her in just because you are tourist?? Answer is NO.

I am pretty sure you are going to find fault of tourist in this situation too. Anyways, this is my last post on this forum. I hope those new readers know what to expect when go to different night clubs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2011
  3. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have no idea where you are from or how old you are, but I think you may need to go on vacation to other destinations. Drugs and Prostitution are EVERYWHERE!!! How is that a Cancun safety issue? If you can't handle your alcohol to make wise decisions, (No thanks is a pretty easy phrase to say), or you let your friends wonder off and possibly get into trouble; maybe you live in a Utopia like I have never witnessed. I have seen many many fools walk off with the drag prostitutes...where are their friends?
    If you are staying at an all inclusive hotel, why would you think you could bring in a non guess? Can't blame a guy who only make $3 an hour to pull that. It happens yr round, and to everyone. Days Inn aren't all inclusive...your comparison doesn't hold up.
    Even locals pay bribes. Again, research would help you out in the long run.
    Read the posts throughout the site. Maybe the Spring Break forum.
    But you aren't going to read this. Oh well!

Again, the power of No Thanks, or No gracias actually work around here. 2 yrs and I have yet to be threatened or ripped off. AMAZING!!!!

4. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Safe for Tourist - yes, Idiots – no. Let’s face it. You all blew it by the numbers. First carrying $400 in cash out at night. Second, letting one drunken guy leave the group on his own. Third, not coming out till 6 AM to find him after he left.

So he’s out in the smoking area passed out and lost his Coco Bongos badge and $400 out of his wallet. Did he thank Jesus when he woke up? I mean Really! In most cities, if he was lucky, he would have woken up in his underwear in the drunk tank without clothes, jewelry, watch, wallet, money and with a sore butt!

And Steve – who else would have ripped him off but the staff? How about his fellow tourist? Why would the staff cut off his wrist band? They can resell it. They know it’s not worth anything cut. But a dumb tourist wouldn’t. It would seem that someone would question the Mexican staff removing his wallet, taking out money, and putting the wallet back a whole lot more than some fellow tourist joking with “Johnny” say give me some money so we can catch a cab home. OK Wait here, I’ll get the cab”.

OK, we’ve all run into this type of behavior at one bar or another over time. But I have never understood all inclusive at the bars to include tips. Never had it presented to me that way. An if you are the frequent visitor as you say in the beginning you should have known better too. And to look to start a fight over being asked for a tip? Looks like you’re looking for trouble when you head out. Most people just head to another bar in the joint or throw the guy a buck. And why should we be careful unless we are a girl? Girls don’t have to tip?

Personally I don’t like the City anyway. It always struck me as wanna be Coco that never lived up to the hype.

Let’s see – you brought a couple of drunk girls back to your room, did whatever and had time for them to puke before 9 PM? You start early don’t ya? And she puked both in the bathroom and other areas of the room that needed laundry services.. she puked in the bed huh? $90 for cleaning up puke in the bed is a pretty good price. Next time left her breathe and don’t shove it so hard down her throat.

So as I see it, you were dumb and lucky you only lost $400 in situation 1, had some bartenders in one club demanding tips for service in situation 2, and had a pukey time in your room in situation 3. And for that you stopped tipping everyone in Cancun? Looks like a little over reaction to the situation.

Also I noticed that you joined CC to make this post. You must have had a really bad time on your last trip to come out of the closet to warn everyone about some questionable situations. And then you attack anyone that questions that maybe you helped creat the situations and then start making bigger and better accusations as you go along.…. hmmmmmm As we say around here.. who peed in your corn flakes? Who is the real target of your postings?

I never really understand folks that go to Cancun and leave their common sense at home. We’ve all either brought drunk puking people back to the hotel because we’ve noticed that they had the same wrist band as us (my last one was out of the City). A few of us have even been brought back because we’ve been passed out outside a bar (you know who you are :) ).

Party with common sense and you’ll be alright.

Jamie

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Really some of you ought to know better. I've lived here for 7 years and visited for 5 years prior to that. Rip offs, scams, bribes, thefts and overcharging are a part of daily life and particularly so in the HZ, always has been always will be. It's part of the reason why very few expats go there for a night out.

If someone gets robbed you cant blame it on them being drunk, they shouldn't get robbed drunk or sober. Next you'll be saying a girl in a short skirt deserved to be raped.

When you pay $50 for open bar it may well not include tips but it most certainly does include drinks.

Maybe I should just stop real tourists from sharing their experiences here and cover up anything bad that is posted. Probably no need since some of you do a good enough job at driving them away anyway.

And Jamie, if you look at the guys post history he signed up on Oct 3rd and posted several times before this thread looking forward to his vacation. He didn't sign up just to start this thread, he posted it to share his experience on his return.

6. Princess015690

Princess015690 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Did the bartender actual say to you.. if you dont tip me, I wont give you drinks, or was the bartender kind of ignoring you, until you tipped him?? If its the first case, what would you do.. go where the money is, or go where it isnt?

7. Princess015690

Princess015690 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Wait.. he had 400$ stolen? If you can just take $400 out on one night, you can't afford to tip someone $1-2? Really? Next time, stay at home!

8. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well put, Steve.

That type of blame game was used by some all but healthy people back home in a recent gang-rape case: "What? She had skirt that barely covered her a**. Sure she must have known what effect that has on us guys..."

Personally, Id never carry that much money around, especially if I plan to go out an get drunk. Thats a rule I have regardless what part of the world Im in. But should I EXPECT to be robbed IF I do decide to carry that amount of cash around? Id like to think "no".

But some people do, and there is no reason at all for the victim to take the blame for getting robbed. IF someone says so, then they are simply enhancing the fact that it DOES happen. In this case, in Cancun.

When it comes to the tipping:

I dont think most people refuse to tip out of spite. If the waiter/s would be less pressuring and a bit more patient, maybe they'd get their tips?

But threatening to stop serving you, if you do NOT tip? LOL, get f*cking real. They do know the conditions when they started working, they do know that not all visitors(foreign or local), will tip. Begging and blackmailing should never be rewarded.

When I have worked for commission only, Id never even thought about putting on puppy eyes nor threaten to stop doing my job.

The ones that provide a good service, usually get rewarded. The ones that dont, simply shouldnt.

Have stopped to count the number of times where a restaurant have tried to include the tip in the bill. Ive managed to always get a proper bill, with the correct numbers. IF the tip would be included, then they should clarify that once you sit down and before you order. Hidden fees are a b*tch. ;)

I do find it interesting that many come out, all guns blazing, as soon as someone describes what to them was a bad experience.

Just cause ones experiences have been "100% good", doesnt mean that everyone has had the same luck, right?

Cancun isn't 100% good, nor is it 100% bad. Its not black and white.

By all means discuss things, but keep it on a sound level.

9. lets_party

lets_party Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW, really? So I am dumb and lucky? I am the one without common sense? If bartender threatens me to not serve drinks after paying $50 cover charge, I should tip him because I am without common sense. And since after paying $50 for cover charge, I didn't feel like paying $1 in tips, I am cheap guy? haha, OK. I saw how many guys actually tipped bartenders in those clubs. Everything that happened was our mistake? haha, OK whatever you say my friend.

I deliberately posted my questions on "Cancun Info" forum because I wanted to stay away from bunch of TTR regulars, but I guess I can't stay away from them on this forum.

I was actually regular reader of this forum since last 5 years and like I said, I been to Cancun for 7 times with same group of people.

Friend of mine who I met from UK, she referred us to this forum back in Cancun. I am sorry but I feel like most of you are covering each other up and make an alliance against a new guy. Which is fine, this isn't only Cancun message board on the net. But doing so will be unfair to site admin because site admin is not bias like others.

I just signed up earlier this month because I had some questions.

Who all hate tourists to share their bad experiences, we been to Temptations in Sept of 2008 and we left wallet in the room (NOT IN THE SAFE), and when we came back in the room at night time money were missing from wallet however everything else was there except the money. We complained and never got situation resolved. I didn't post it on forums because I knew I will get this type of bias responses. Furthermore, in all 7 times I have witnessed same type of crappy service from the City bartenders and finally I decided to put my frustrations on the forum and in the end I was the one who got blamed for it. That is fine amigos, Temptations lost our business and City won't be seeing us in the future.

Regardless, This forums is great and ran by smart admin. If I have any future questions, I will be posting them here but from here on I won't be sharing my good or bad experiences on this site anymore.

10. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually the OP has started off with complaints which is basically his fault.

1. The friend got drunk and passed out-why blame the locals or anyone else for the friends stupidity?
    2. Bartenders asked for a tip. The OP is too cheap to give a tip so they did not serve him. Was this the only bar in the place? Was this the only bartender in the place? Bet not. The OP should have moved on to another bartender or another bar. But he decided to hand in there and get ticked off for being too cheap to give a $1 tip.
    3. Girls they brought back to the rooms puked and made a mess. Let me see who is initially at fault in addition to the girl? Of course the guys who brought them into the room to begin with. Now the OP complains about the cost of the clean up. Wait he already is too cheap to sprare a dollar for a tip so what do you expect? Not pay for people cleaining up a mess he is partially responsible for by taking the girl into the room?

The OP insults a regular poster here and expects for us not to stand up for the fellow posters who normally come on this site far more often then the OP.

Now the op is ticked off that we do not see thngs his way after his 7 trips to Cancun Personally I have never been approached by any hookers in Cancun nor any drug dealers. Do they exists? Probably. Do the cab drivers show these nude pictures? I do not know since I never had the experience. I guess I am not one these people pick on to further their trade. Lucky me.

Bottom line I fell nothing for the OP other then wish them to wake up to reality and stop being so cheap and insulting to those who may see your way but want to tell you the same thing. You are cheap don't want to tip and expect those in Cancun to treat you like the king you feel you are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice