Really Tough Predicament For Parents With Young Kids

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by HDM, Jul 16, 2020.

1. HDM

HDM Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +586 / 0
    As parents of young kids and in general, we are starting to feel less confident and excited about our trips to TTR Sept 2-8 and October 20-25, and strongly considering cancelling. Super lame as we could really use these trips. But just doesn’t feel like it would be worth the hassle or that we’d really be able to have our typical fun. Are any of you feeling the same, especially parents of young kids?

2. hotsaf

hotsaf Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0
    We totally get it. We pushed off our July trip and are hoping to make the October 23-25 (can't do the entire Wicked trip but thanks for the recommendation). It will change a lot between now and then but just realize they will probably be happier with family that lets them relax more often than when the parents are around (if you house works like ours)!

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Do you mean because of Covid, or just leaving young kids in any case?

If Covid, you probably know kids are the most resilient of all the age groups. Depends how you live at home, but there's likely just as much chance of getting it at home as there is at Temptation.

If not for Covid, then I'd say all parents need some time away once in a while. Ours are 9 and 15 and still complain every time we go, and are why we limit our trips to 3 nights at a time.

It's going to be like that until our youngest is 16 or so, that's a lot of years if yours are younger.

In either case, Sept and Oct are quite some way off. I'd suggest waiting 3 or 4 weeks and see how you feel then.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  4. Epic & Jewel

Epic & Jewel Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,557 / 0
    We are feeling the same way, but not necessarily for the same reason. Our youngest is 16 so our travel schedule is becoming ever more flexible. I was a bit hesitant to book a trip while the hotel has limited occupancy. We like the party scene and more people make that even better.

We currently have a trip booked at the end of October and are hopeful that things will turn around a bit by then.

5. T&C.

T&C. Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0
    I've always struggled leaving our kids home when we travel to TTR, the whole trip to the airport I tend to get a little teared up :). Cindy on the other hand walks out the door and doesn't look back. We're also traveling at the end of October and over Halloween and I hope the resort is packed, the more... the sexier! Unless travel restrictions limit us, we're all in, along with the group we travel with. I'm sure a lot will change between now and then, we're just holding out hope it's all a go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. K&P ARK

K&P ARK Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +431 / 0
    We have 3 ages 9, 15, & 19. Grandma is coming to spend the week with them while we are gone and they are excited to see her. We are booked Aug 7-15, originally that was their first week of school, but that has been pushed back. Originally we were booked for memorial weekend but had to push back as well. We chose to fly from Dallas to Philly instead and spent what should’ve been our TTR weekend with @ScubaSteve for his bday. One flight was packed while the other wasn’t. It’s now almost 3 months later and we feel great. Kids are resilient, and they need their time off from the parents just as much as we need our time away. Plus when you consider how this quarantine has us working from home together we are around with the family more than ever, and you even start to believe they need you there 24/7, but in reality the more independence you give them now the more responsible they get when they move out (experiencing this with oldest that just finished his first year of college with no incidents). Don’t get me wrong we’ll still be calling all 3 of them everyday between dinner and bash just like we have every trip, and we have even been known the take half a day and go to the market to buy them a souvenir. You know your situation better than we do and I can only speak of our experiences, but if you want to party with a group of (4) parents that’s going to be partying like 2020 never happened then we’ll be there Aug 7-15.

7. SUPnSun

SUPnSun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +419 / 1
    I know where you’re coming from. We’ve essentially written off any chance of going to TTR this year. While there are lots of factors, our children are by far the biggest one.

We’ve had a couple of friends with Covid, and the effects have been across the board. From mild to fairly severe, thankfully no hospitalization. Definitely it affected their ability to ‘parent’.

Our normal behavior at TTR would fall into a higher risk activity. Even taking it easy is probably more risk that what I’m exposed to on a weekly basis at home. That’s something that just isn’t right for us at this point.

(All this said... I am carrying 10 days of vacation into the fall... Just in case...)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. RicknAmanda

RicknAmanda Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +334 / 0
    We’re with ya guys. We were really hoping for a trip this year. Considered booking a few different fall dates and we didn’t. Luckily, Amanda’s more of the thinker and doesn’t impulse react like I do. It’s going to be hard to tell the grandparents we’re headed to Cancun here’s the kiddo.

9. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    No, not really.
    Just practice saying it over and over until you are confident!
    Some quality time to be enjoyed by all...just you will be in a different location then the rest of them;)

10. Noah

Noah Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 1
    Much easier said than done. It really is not practical to tell grandparents (who are in the higher risk age category) that we are going off to Temptation to party like crazy and practice 0 social distancing during the middle of a pandemic, please watch the kids... I’m sure people do it, but it’s not something our families would support at all. They would just tell us not to be idiots, go in 2021. My guess is that people’s politics persuasion/news source/community COVID impact changes their comfort level of traveling considerably. We know that since we can barely eat indoors, going to Temptation is off the table for a bit longer. We are super bummed to miss our trip, but kids make it much harder to justify going. Hopefully our 2021 trip is epic!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice