Re-Entry on FMM after 180 days on FMT

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ToriB, Jul 5, 2010.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do not believe all tourists get 180 days "automatically", hence the block on the back for "Days Granted" and most likely the reason the language on the front says "up to 180".

Stay tuned. Will either post the images of the front and back or the link to them from my Webshots page. Having trouble getting anything but the red X when I try to insert and image.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CLICK ON THE IMAGES AND THEY WILL DISPLAY AS A VIEWABLE IMAGE THAT YOU CAN READ WITHOUT A 300X MICROSCOPE. THIS IS THE BEST I CAN DO.

FRONT PAGE

[​IMG]

BACK PAGE

[​IMG]

3. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tom T, I assume Tj is makin a reference to your screen name. Tom T Hall was a country singer WAY back when (kinda tellin our age here huh,Tj?). Here is a link for one of his songs...

[ame=]YouTube - Tom T Hall (I Like Beer)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  4. playagrandma

playagrandma Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    180 days

still confusing. I have asked several tourist how many days they were granted and all were given 180 days-they were not asked how many days they need. So its get back to the same question-if I am given 180 days-I stay 90 days-I leave for several months. On my return will I receive only 90?

Actually I currently have an fm3. However, this is is my third year-at year 5, I will need to apply for an fm2. I am not interested at all in getting an fm2. As you know, an fm2 only allows you out of the country for x number of days. I believe the number I was given was only 18 months in a five year period. This will not work for me. So I will be forced to get go back to a tourist visa. If I can get 180 days, every time I enter-then I probably will just drop by fm3 when I renew next year. If not, then I will need to adjust my schedule accordingly. The person that takes care of my fm3 is currently looking into this and I should know tomorrow.

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Please share what you hear, but I have heard many people keep renewing their FM3. I know somewhere on here there was discussion of this, and a few people have continued renewing their FM3 without any problems for many many years. Maybe I am wrong, but that is something else you should look into....on the 5th year, do you HAVE to apply for an FM2?

6. playagrandma

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    fm2

Tori this was one of the new rules take took effect the first of May. As of May 1 2010 anyone that has an fm3 cannot renew after year 5-that is when an fm2 will be required. This is somehing I do know is a fact.

I hope to find out today concerning the 180 days.

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Can you direct us to the source of this information so we can check on it playagrandma? It may prove to be the case as you said but I'll have to see it in writing to feel confident about that piece of information (no offense intended: I check everything I can myself- always!)

[Even if you could only get an FM3 renewed four times it might still be possible to simply let it lapse then apply for a new one later: I'm not expressing an opinion on this- just thinking out loud!]

The FM3 has some value in this environment in addition to being able to come and go freely while spending as much time in Mexico as you like: it also gets you discounts on a number of things by proving you reside here; it is required by many landlords before they will agree to rent to you; and it entitles you to apply for IMSS medical coverage if you wish to live in retirement here and take advantage of very low cost health care (important especially to those whose retirement income may consist solely of Social Security)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  8. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, that is one of the new sucky rules. Like V says, the FM3 is so convenient for those that want to come and go, especially retirees and rentistas, without restrictions. I give two thumbs down to that!!!

9. playagrandma

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    immigration

V I do understand why you would need to see the source this came from. I am meeting the restoria migratoria this morning that does my fm3 for me. I getting my new fm3 today. I will ask him to provide that source. I am going on his word only. He has never given me false informatiion before. We met him way before we moved here and he is also a very close friend. He understands my sitution-thus he would never tell me I had to go an fm2 after my five years if it wasnt necessary.

I wiill also ask him about letting it lapse and just starting all over. I am thinking though this is not going to be allowed but we will see.

10. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Question - why wouldn't you want to get an FM2? I'm coming up on 5 years (even though I can only prove 4, thanks to the stellar staff at the Mexican Embassy in Washington DC... grrr)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice