Rare pictures of Cancun from the late 1970s

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Marooned, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    South Florida... they paid cash money....... 8)

Jamie

2. LuvCereza

LuvCereza Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Marooned,

I really liked those pictures, got anymore? Like I was telling Jamie, I bet when you were there you were doing the disco duck in those high platform shoes on the disco floor down in Cancun. 1979-80 right?

3. Marooned

Marooned Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Old Cancun Pics

The other pics in the booklet are from Cozumel and Isla Mujeres. I will try to post them later in the week.

I was only a sophomore in high school at the time we went to Cancun in 1980. It was amazing! My other beach reference was Galveston, Texas! My brother and I would walk around The Sheraton and get attacked by killer iguanas - they were everywhere!

4. doogster

doogster Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hard to believe everything that is in Cancun now was built in such a tiny narrow area.

5. Marooned

Marooned Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancun development

A lot of what is now Cancun was filled-in...many areas in the hotel zone were TOO narrow or mostly stagnet water.

I for one would like to see more coconut palm trees planted in the hotel zone, especially along the beach. It is obvious from the historical photos that there were huge groves thick with palms. Also, a row of palm trees along the beach would help break-up the long line of hotels, seawalls, etc. What do you think?

6. stud

stud Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Marooned is right, most of what we see know in Cancun at the side of the Lagoon was all filled 15 years ago. There is a very good book named Cancun, bankers dream that relate hoe Cancun was concived and then built mostly by two Mexican ex Presidents, banker in that time Lusi Echeverría, Adolfo Lopez Mateos and Harp Heliu.

Quintan Roo was almost a forgotten land for Mexico govement because we didn´t have any road that connect us with the rest of the Republic, thats why we were more connected with Cuba and Florida and the locals remain with a kind of Cuban accent, same that Merida people. Also most of the commerce was held with Cuba and not with Mexico.

The palms were not cutted to built, they were knock down by Hurracaine Gilbert almost 15 years ago. We do have a very enforced law regarding palms, trees and vegetation and they will ut you in jail if you don´t hace the permitt to cut a palm down and grow 5 new ones.

7. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wow, that's pretty stiff :!:
    I hope it works, or is working...

8. LuvCereza

LuvCereza Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Stud,

Who is the author of that book, Cancun you are talking about?
    I want to purchase it.

Thanks.

9. stud

stud Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will check it back home (I am working ) and post it tomorrow because my lap top got a virus.

10. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Stud's not practicing safe computing..... :twisted:

Folks, make sure you have virus protection on your computers. There are lots of lonely/sick people out there that just live to write viruses to see how many they can infect before it can be stopped. It's not a question of if you will get infected without protection, but when. There are new ones coming out everyday that are sent either by email or through web sites. Some, all you have to do is visit a site and you're infected. You don't have to do anything else. Some email systems will allow you to become infected by just opening an email, without having to access the attachment.

Viruses can be for fun or start deleting files. Don't wait until you have lost all your files, pictures, or records before you finally decide to spend that money.

Jamie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice