Rare pictures of Cancun from the late 1970s

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Marooned, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Marooned

Marooned Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to Cancun in 1980 (stayed at The Sheraton when it was the only hotel towards the south except for the Club Med) and bought a souvenir postcard picture booklet. The photos in the book are probably from 1979 or maybe a year or two earlier...I think you will find them interesting.

Sorry for the glare - I may take them again if I can figure-out a better method.

[​IMG]
    Cover of postcard booklet

[​IMG]
    Captioned "Panoramic view of Cancun". I think this is probably somewhere between Wet-N-Wild and Club Med on the south end.

[​IMG]
    Captioned "Hotels on the Beach, North Zone". The hotel in the foreground in the Caroussel. Yes, the infamous BBG is included in this group of older hotels on the bayside mainland.

[​IMG]
    Captioned "Cancun - Panoramic View". This is obviously Punta Norte. The Camino Real (Dreams) and the tower (television?) are the only structures recognizable today. Notice the thick palm tree grove on the beach to the right of the tower.

[​IMG]
    Captioned "Cancun Caribe Hotel". Obviously this is now the Hyatt Caribe, one of the oldest hotels in Cancun.

[​IMG]
    Captioned "General air view of hotel area". Hyatt Caribe and vicinity looking north. Notice how lonely the El Presidente looks across the lagoon.

[​IMG]
    Captioned "One of the tranquil beaches of Cancun". The Camino Real (Dreams) is barely visible to the right behind the plam tree grove. In my opinion this is where the Fiesta Americana Coral Beach sits now.

[​IMG]
    Captioned "Air view of the hotel Camino Real". Look how nice the Camino Real (Dreams) was when it was really isolated, no Hyatt Regency next door.

[​IMG]
    Captioned "Cancun - Panoramic View". They obviously like that caption! I think they need a new copywriter! Look at the isolation of the El Presidente on the bayside.

[​IMG]
    Back cover of picture booklet. The pricetag has 35 pesos. I love that palm tree grove between the Camino Real (Dreams) and the Salvia condos.

2. SirMoose

SirMoose Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, that was really fun to look at...thanks for sharing.

3. Jodi MN

Jodi MN Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, great pics and interesting too!! Thanks a lot for sharing.

4. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW! I LOVE those old pictures!

Our first trip was in 1985, and I wish I had taken a LOT more pictures, but back then we weren't really into taking pictures.
    Thanks so much for sharing!!

5. Chris-Tulsa

Chris-Tulsa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is great!
    Thanks for sharing them with us! :)

6. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    How did they survive back then with no Coco Bongos, Sr Frogs, big shoping centers, and having to live with all those trees around?

Thnaks for sharing the walk down memory lane......

Jamie

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the pictures. I went to college for 10 weeks in Merida in the spring of 1979 and we spent a week at Cozumel and Isla. Caught the bus back to Merida in Cancun and remember a very young Cancun. Could never place exactly where we were on my recent return visit. The pictures certainly help out.

8. LuvCereza

LuvCereza Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Back then wasn't Cancun for the "rich" only? There is a huge difference there now, I would have never thought it looked so secluded and there was palm trees, they should of left them there. The water still looks just as beautiful as it does today and the lagoon still looks dark.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures, NICE!!! :D

9. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks, Marooned! So all this development that we see today occurred over the 20 years since then?

Look out, Puerto Morelos! Everyone enjoy the Riviera Maya while you can...scenes like this will be more scarce in the years and decades to come.

10. Marooned

Marooned Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancun development

The search for Mexico's great new beach development began in 1967. The first hotel began construction in 1972 and wasn't completed until 1974. At the time Cancun had 4 residents and was basically a coconut plantation.

Where did all of the palm trees go?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice