random check or should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by CancunViaCO, Jul 29, 2014.

1. CancunViaCO

CancunViaCO Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This June I spent 8 wonderful day in Cancun. I usually make and annual trip to Cancun in May or June, and I have been to Cancun 9 times without incident. This trip was the same with no beefs with anyone, anywhere, including the hotel, restaurants and tours. Beside going on a couple tours I never left the Hotel Zone and only brought in $500 USD with me. When I arrived at the airport (2-1/2 hours early), the counter agent started to mark my broading pass with diagonal lines. He also tagged my luggage with a orange tag with 4 letters on it. At security, when the agent saw the diagonal markings, I was sent through a seperate line, where I was thoroughly searched. I was also pulled asided and searched a 2nd time at the gate. when I arrived home, I did not have any issues with US customs, and was sent on through as usual. I have been through random searches before but not one that started from the ticket counter or where my luggage was marked. Was this random or am I on a Mexican shit list? Is this an occupational hazzad of being from Colorado (legalized pot state)?

2. jayg

jayg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my guess is that you are rite. the search was about you being from colorado. in jan of 2010 they searched some carry ons rite before we boarded, but only that one time.

3. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's random. They choose whomever they want to. They don't care where you live. Your boarding pass has a code as it prints out and that is how they pull you aside.

4. Cokewithlime

Cokewithlime Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +246 / 3
    Most often what triggers the special security screening is if you have one way tickets(because of how you booked) rather than a full round trip ticket.

5. CancunViaCO

CancunViaCO Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gabesz: Thanks for the explanation, that makes the most sense. I was paranoid a little because me and my 3 buddies were all picked at the same time. Also, I did not want the hassle of being picked every trip if I was on a shit list of some sort. Like all government systems, it would be highly possible the computer would not make sense and group security checks together, just like when some people always get picked for jury duty over and over.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice