RACIAL PROFILING MUST STOP? Why?‏

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Michael F., Feb 13, 2010.

1. Dave & Audrey

Dave & Audrey Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

Fair enough, but if you only have enough security forces to thoroughly screen one or the other for any ties to extremist or terror groups, would those resources be better spent on the old Swedish lady or the younger male Muslim? Not saying that the young male Muslim is guilty of anything. Chances are that his isn't. But chances are also more likely that his is than the old swede.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Oh, here we go again. Another one who gets his history from the DVD box set of Band of Brothers.

The US only joined WWII because the Japs attacked the US at Pearl Harbour and Germany declared war on the US. The US didnt have any choice in the matter. Had it not been for Pearl Harbour the US may well have sat back and watched it unfold just like they did for the first 2 years, just like they did for several years during WWI too.

When that card gets played then I bow out of this discussion. Because in one paragraph you typify the arrogance of the current day US. Forgive me for not being 'oh so ever so grateful to the mighty United States' for that fact I dont speak German. It's like me saying maybe you should be grateful to the Brits you dont speak Arapaho or Commanche and live in a Wigwam. Offensive isn't it?

Oh and if you check your history, you'll find that Germany didn't directly attack Britain either until war was declared on Germany in 1939. Maybe we were sticking our noses in there long before you. Same for Canada too, where were you?

Britain gave far more than the US ever did in WWII and we only just finished paying the debt off a few years back, you so kindly lumbered on us to ensure we couldnt compete economically for the next 25 years.

3. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Hate to bust your bubble on this one Steve but Canada declared war at the same time in WWI as the U.K. (still a bit of a colonial approach at that time) and we entered WWII just a couple of days after the U.K. did. I had one relative I know of fight in WWII in Italy in a tank busting unit. I didn't know him too well but according to my mom and grandmother he was nevr the same when he came back.

Anyways, I just wanted to be clear on the level of Canadian involvment in those World Wars. Interesting fact, the term stormtrooper was used in WWI by german soldiers to describe Canadian infantry who were stunningly effective at trench warfare.

4. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    Steve I'm glad you said all that and not me. It's so bloody typical for the SAVIOURS OF THE WORLD to want praise for standing back and watching Britain struggle for years. If you look at the ACTUAL history books and not the American version you see on TV you'd know that the war in central Europe was virtually won by the time the Americans joined in. The Russians actually did more for the cause than the Americans did but it American history they have to be the hero's etc.
    At the end of the day every war America has fought alone they have lost, Korea and Vietnam for example. They decided to attack Afghanistan/Iraq because they thought they were an easy target but again they will lose along with the Brits and the Nato forces which sadly men a lose of many young people.
    Sadly America has a very distorted view of history, most Americans think the Braveheart film is factual because it was on thier tv. Bush was not in a war when New York was attacked and his response was typical in invading a country that had nothing to do with the attacks. If America feels they should defend everyone, why haven't they sorted out Iran? We all know why, because they would get whipped and lose many men/women.
    I think it's about time that Americans realised just how the rest of the world views thier actions. If they'd kept thier noses out of other people's wars then they wouldn't be targeted by everyone. Keep sending your young men and women to war, see them getting killed and costing the US a small fourtune. All this while the American economy is in tatters and kids go round killing each other in school. Mad, simply mad.

5. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Okay Folks, I guess we got way off track and started taking shots at each other rather than the point of the original post. Each of us has our own version of what occurred in the past from what we read. None of us were around in 1939 so we can only judge by what we have been taught. I don't think any of us want to be taking shots at each other when the whole point was that some of the time a profiling may save someone's hide. I think that was Michael's point.

In the meantime as my fellow Baby Boomers who grew up in the 60's would say, "Peace and Love." We'll all share a brew or two at the sexy pool and talk about Boobs and Brazilian Waxing and leave it at that!

6. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ed

Not to belabour the point, I can see we are slowly moving out of this debate as we did the last one and the one before that (tell Zackman to quit dredging up healthcare comparisons and we'll all get along).

Anyway, just curious, I read a lot in the Toronto papers that when the American born players come up to play Baseball/Football/Hockey/Basketball and send their kids to school in a local environment that they are taught (quite factually, actually) that the War of 1812 was won by the Brits and by extension Canada.

The comment is always the same, that in America, they are taught that the US won the war of 1812.

Is it true that they teach that in your schools, or is that just heresay.

Thanks

7. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Bob,

That is a great question. It was a really long time ago that I took that in school and the spin on it may have changed, but the way I remember the War of 1812 being taught is that noone won the war. The way I remember it (and when I took history in school we did our tests on stone tablets it was so long ago) is that the War of 1812 did nothing but solidify the borders between the two countries and establish that the US had a right to use the seas. Here in our area we get a lot of information about the "invasion" of Canada by some ragtag army that blown away over in Ridgeway, Ont. I'm racking my brain right now to see if I can ever remember someone stating that one side or the other "won" the war and I really don't remember it being said that way. Tonight if I can, I'll check out my girls' history books and see how it is portrayed. I'm not sure they have American history this year so it may not be there, but you really have me very curious.

In terms of history being slanted in one nation or another, there is no question that it occurs. I'm appalled by the coverage of the Vietnam War by the history books my girls (aged 13) use. It is barely a footnote and I remember it being one of the most traumatic times in the history of this country and probably the most divisive time in our history. Our own American Civil War is portrayed in the South as the War for Southern Independance or some other name in certain areas. How's that for a slant? The old adage is that there are three sides to every story....your side, my side, and what really happened.

8. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The future of Healthcare is an extremely important debate here in the U.S. with the current administration trying to force its will on all Americans. Please tell B & B to get a thicker skin and not to shoot the messenger if you don't like the message...

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Either I wrote it wrong or you read it wrong (commas and full stops in the wrong places I think) I know Canada were in at the beginning. Maybe should have been:

Anyhow, I agree lets stop taking potshots at each other's countries. There's nothing that riles me more than that and I'm sure it goes the other way too.

10. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    WOOOAAAAA

I said let's stop with the healthcare COMPARISON'S, at no time did I belittle the debate amongst yourselves.

The Quote "Please tell B & B...", you are responding to a quote from B & B, so you don't have to have someone else tell him (me), you just did.

And finally, what's this about getting a thicker skin and don't shoot the messenger if you don't like the message. As in past debates, I have said our healthcare is fanatstic, you have said you wouldn't want it and you keep bringing up dated references from the Toronto Star. In the most recent debate, I said fair enough, do what you want, but do not talk down my healthcare. I thought we had agreed to that and now you go and bring this up again??

And finally, finally, the quote where I referenced you was partially written in jest with an olive branch extended. Who needs the thick skin now, I don't get why you responded in the vein which you did???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice