Quintana Roo Covid Stoplight Status

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Chris_in_WA, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Not from Merida you can't. It's a 4 hr drive.

I can drive to Temptation in 10 mins and we went last night :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. mrandmrsmexico

mrandmrsmexico Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Steve, do you know what it might mean for guests at temptations if it does turn red while they’re already there?

3. The Gringos

The Gringos Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    If you bothered to read the post I made you'd see I also own in Cancun. I don't own a house in Merida? Good to see you were there though, did you bring up all the items being stolen from rooms?

4. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yet again, you make no sense.

What does owning a place in Cancun have to do with living there? You said you would avoid Cancun like the plague.

I own a place in the UK, but I don't live there. It doesn't give me some special insight into what the situation is there..... because I don't live there and experience it day to day. You don't live in Cancun and experience it day to day.

And what does one person having something stolen from their room have to do with me? I can empathise, but it's not my problem to fix.

In the future, you need to be honest with your posts. Instead of pretending you are some kind of local expert on the ground, when you actually live in a different State entirely.

And I'd still like to know how you can get to Temptation in 30 minutes from 200+ miles away.

Thin, ice, treading.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Short answer, no I don't. But I think the chances are slim.

If Red does happen, then I think there may be some special dispensation for hotels and tourists. The vast majority of tourists are vaccinated, are not responsible for spreading Covid, nor are they contracting it in large numbers. Largely the spread is unvaccinated local youngsters, and as like anywhere for young people their symptoms are generally mild, and they get over it quickly. They don't generally mix with tourists, or frequent expensive hotels. Cases do not directly correlate with deaths as they did a year ago.

If the worst happens and tourists are banned from coming, then there will be tens of thousands more people unemployed, and thousands of businesses closed. No furlough or stimulus here. For many people, if they don't work they don't eat :( There may well be riots and civil unrest.

As for Temptation, I can't answer that with any certainty.

Back in April last year, we didn't have the traffic light system, but when the hotel closed (for 3 months) they waited for the very last guest to leave and provided the best experience they were able to until their departure.No one was forced to leave, no one was locked in their room, they did the same events even if they were down to their last 2 guests

At that time the GM was the amazing Patric who has since left. But I doubt the hotel will have any different procedure, in the unlikely event we go to Red.

The current Gobernador (Governor) and Presidente Municpal (Mayor) have 6 months left in office, so anything and everything is on the table.

The likely next Presidente Municipal and Gobernador are likely to be better. I know who they will be and have connections - watch this space.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  6. Chris_in_WA

Chris_in_WA Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Thanks, super helpful. Part of the reason I chose Mexico at all was putting money into a hard hit tourism area so I pray you're right and they stay open for the community's sake, especially since it sounds like the vaccine drive is accelerating in the nick of time. Thanks for the insider view.

7. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Last time I banned someone (spammers excepted) was about 4 yrs ago.

But this "The Gringos" guy has consistently posted scare stories for the last 18 months, pretends he lives in Cancun when he doesn't, and I don't even think he's been to Temptation ever. Also, consistently infers that I put profit over telling the truth and that I should be concerning myself with guest issues at a hotel that I do not even work for.

You know, as well as I do, he's just one of those double maskers - even when driving solo.

Never a good idea to argue with and criticise the owner of any business or establishment. There's only going to be one winner in that situation.

He's gone.

• Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  8. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    That is very honorable of you. I hope the people of Cancun show the same love for you, as you show for them.

Something I should have mentioned in my previous post. In Cancun, tourism is regarded as an "essential business" - half the City relies on it.

Can't see a close down happening again.

9. Hawkeyecpl

Hawkeyecpl Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0
    He conveniently left out the last two paragraphs of the article he quoted. It basically said the same thing you said... The overwhelming majority of the most recent surge in cases is among the young and unvaccinated and that the situation at the resorts is very different. Can't wait to get back "home". After 2 postponements this is now our longest time away from TTR since our first trip nearly a decade ago!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice