quick warning on getting permission to leave the country

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by kathy_caribe, Apr 9, 2013.

1. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    may only apply to PdC, may only apply to the Sinaloenses currently staffing our office, who knows. May only apply to certain Fridays in March. At any rate BEFORE SEMANA SANTA started, my husband decided to fly back to the US. We tried a week before his flight to get the carta to leave. No go. We tried 5 days before his flight. No go. We tried the Friday before his flight left (Monday) and while they accepted the tramite the Absolutely Refused to give him the letter until The Day Of The Flight (no more than 3 days before was their reasoning) and told him to come back at 9am on Monday and the letter would be ready. Of course it wasn't.

The line was enormous so I jumped the entire line and went directly past the front desk to a clerk. She told me to tell the front desk to have him jump the line. It still took about 40 min to talk to the clerk and jump the first line. They then took his tramite form directly to a clerk and told us to wait. Now maybe they either decided to punish us for jumping so many lines or maybe it just takes this long, but we waited 1.5 hours for that goddamned letter.

got to the airport 20 minutes before his flight left. I dropped him off, sans luggage and told him to go DIRECTLY to the front checkin desk and jump everyone waiting and grab a stupidvisor. He waited. :( I brought in his luggage, went directly to the counter and told the clerk (interrupting someone else) that his flight left in 20 minutes and we needed to see a stupidvisor. Supervisor was AMAZING. I told him the whole story, we waived change fees and put him on another flight with pretty good chance of making his connection.

SOOO, long story short, beware of INM issues and demand that goddamned letter to leave the country if you're getting it on a Friday and leaving Monday. Day before might be a better bet.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    With the new procedures stretching the process out by an additional four weeks, on average, many more will now find themselves in the position of needing permission to leave while their tramite is pending. This will not make for many happy campers: it´s become more important than ever to think ahead and plan ahead as the date for filing a renewal or other process approaches to avoid needing to leave the country, if possible.

Getting the permission here, in Cancun, can be equally trying, but at least they have in place a fixed schedule for processing the permissions, which they try to adhere to, of receiving the tramite exactly five business days prior to the date of departure. I´ve done about five of these, and on at least one occasion had to do what you did, get it done while I waited; but, I´ve always gotten them in hand at least the day before departure.

It was unconscionable that they insisted you be given yours the day of departure.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Terrible experience Kathy,

I am surprised that they even talked to you at the airport. International carriers are supposed to "close" the flights one hour before the "scheduled" departure time, even if they know departure will be delayed. You are lucky he was able to get a connecting flight the same day and the waiver of the no change policy.

Carriers like JetBlue and Spirit have a limited number of flights leaving Cancun, even only one sometimes.

But I am curious about why you brought the luggage inside, instead of keeping it with the passenger. Had his scheduled flight been delayed, perhaps he would have had to board without the luggage. Or the luggage would be on a later flight. That happened to me once. A flight from Peru to Mexico was late arriving. I made the flight to Cancun but the luggage did not. But we were so advised before departure. The next Cancun flight was only an hour later so we just waited in Cancun for the bags. Interesting also is that, since you do Aduana in Mexico at your destination, and INM at your point of entry, apparently there were no connecting international flights for the one with our luggage. We totally avoided Aduana. Good thing too. Lol.

4. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How much does it cost to get the permit to leave? I need one for June and my company tell me it's 350 pesos. Is this correct?

5. kathy_caribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes. I'm pretty sure. Maybe a few pesos less.

6. kathy_caribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes, but it all worked out. I kept his luggage until I parked so he could sprint in an bypass all the folks waiting unencoumbered by luggage - just easier to get to the head of the line. I was right there behind him within a couple minutes with his luggage.

7. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Can someone explain to me what a "tramite" is and why it is needed to leave Mexico?? Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice