Questions about living in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by kgunn, Jun 2, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    AC units

Yeah that is great that the landlord took the situation seriously: I'd have had a heart attack getting bills the size you were getting

Be sure the units he buys are powerful enough- otherwise they'll end up using too much electricity with running all the time

Lots of things boost the number of BTUs your units will have to handle to do the job- windows that leak and uninsulated ceilings and walls make the job harder and require bigger units

There is a heat load on any wall or roof area exposed to the sun and this must be factored in: many good online websites will allow you to do just that in deciding how big the units must be

My main room is only about 35 sq meters and has no heat load to speak of but a 17000 BTU unit is just barely adequate for it; anything smaller would have been inadequate and as I understand it your upstairs bedrooms are warmed by the sun- walls and ceilings- all day

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's great news Steve... I expect you'll see a difference in your next bill assuming you don't turn your place into an ice box now that you've got shiny new mini splits to use... if you stick to your just at night routine I'd expect your bill to be much less even in the DAC rate.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Steve, have you got any numbers you could share with us, at this point- I mean comparing your daily consumption using the old system, with daily consumption now?

Hope there was a big difference!

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,232 / 14
    From 26 July:
    Well, we just got our next electric bill. All wet and stuck to the path, we do have a postbox but the deliverer obviously decided not to use it. Quite likely because it was raining and he wanted to get on his way asap.

I'm surprised the slugs didnt eat it.

What is it with Mexican slugs? First bit of rain in months and they are all over the place. Where do they go when it's 95 degrees and evaporates any moisture in minutes? Well, I suppose that's off topic a little.

Gonna leave you in suspense a little longer to tell you how much our new elec bill was, after our change to minisplits and harranging of CFE.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    OK, I'll bite. How much was it, Steve?

7. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Come ooooonnnn! Spill it!

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,232 / 14
    Our bill was 2389 pesos, about a fifth of our last one. Our tarifa has also been changed from DAC back to 1C.

I was surprised really as I took some readings every day over 5 days and our consumption didn't seem to be much less than before. Since the baby we've also used more electricity due to using the washing machine more and Jannets Mum being with us a lot, using extra fans and lights etc.

So, I'm not entirely sure why it is so low this time. But I'll take it!

9. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Told ya .. and I'll even bet you used the AC a bit more than before... lets just hope its not a typo... you are sure it was your bill you scraped off the ground right? :icon_mrgreen: Not being charged the DAC rate probably helped quite a bit...

10. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yay! :D That's really good!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice