Questions about living in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by kgunn, Jun 2, 2010.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    kgunn,

There is a fairly new budget hotel, City Hotel Express, across Nichupte from Plaza Las Americas, at the appproximate intersection with Tulum, to the south of the mall. That would be in SM 8. The tip of SM 15 is diagonally across that intersection. SM 15 runs to the west all along across Tulum from one end to the other of the mall.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Plaza+las+Am%C3%A9ricas,+Canc%C3%BAn,+Mexico&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.919765,70.488281&ie=UTF8&hq=Plaza+las+Am%C3%A9ricas,&hnear=Canc%C3%BAn,+Quintana+Roo,+Mexico&ll=21.144241,-86.822728&spn=0,0.002151&z=19&layer=c&cbll=21.144233,-86.822853&panoid=fDKurirUz11Mgmd3tBpj2Q&cbp=12,142.94,,0,5

There is a great upscale restaurant, Bandeneon, in the building to the left. Bring your wallet and be sure to have the Shrimp Juice. Not really juice but some to die for Shrimp Soup, but on the menu as Jugo de Camerones, aka Shimp Juice. EDIT MADE FROM CAMIONES, AS TRINA SAID WHICH IS A TRUCK AND OFTEN USED FOR BUS AS WELL. What a goofball I am.

This is the side/back of Dorian's (used to be JC Penneys) pretty much across from the hotel, and one of the anchor tenants of the mall.

Plaza las Américas, Cancún, Mexico - Google Maps

This is a huge, NOW open to many stores and restuarants, addition to mall, called Malecon Americas. This is from Bonampak, just north of Nichupte.

Plaza las Américas, Cancún, Mexico - Google Maps

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    kgunn,

I know my woman loves Balam but I have friends who swear by Alexandre. I go often to Balam, picking up and dropping off, various events/celebrations/festivals and it is secure and a well run school. I cannot think of a single event that I have not seen the Principal/Administrator in attendance and actively running the show. I say this because she is quite pleasant to look at and always gets my attention. Ja Ja.

I would not hesitate to recommend Balam to anyone, based on about 3 years of interaction with the school. It is in SM 44 just west of the intersection of Kabah, sort of north of Costco and west of the futbol/soccer and besbol stadiums.

3. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Way to show off your spanish skills Tj!! Juice of trucks!!

4. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh Jeez Louise. Thanks Trina. I know the correct word but my fingers aren't working so I am typing with my nose. Will fix it now.

5. kgunn

kgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Okay, my husband (Val) will be in Cancun June 29 to July 5. He is staying at the Westin Resort, wish it was downtown rather than the hotel zone but we are SPG Platinum members and used points.

How much is it for taxi to downtown? How easy is it to catch the bus?

6. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The bus is so easy to use you cant go wrong for less than a US dollar. The westin is way far from downtown and I would guess around 10 to 15 USD to get downtown from there by cab. But not sure, I do know the bus will cost you 7.5 pesos per way.

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Gonzo's right, the buses are awfully easy to use to get you into town cheaply; once there, taxis are cheap, costing just 20 pesos, one way, for most trips within the city: the longest trips within town I'm aware of cost 25 pesos, so you can't go wrong!. (Cancun has flat fares, based on zones: there's no meters in the taxis, and the fares extremely low, except when riding into or out of the hotel zone; even then, they're modest compared with rates in the U.S., for example.)

Any numbered bus will do it going into town: going back, he'll have to watch for those with a sign in the window saying, "Westin Resort", to be sure they run far enough into the hotel zone to get him home, at KM20 (not all do, some turn around at Plaza Kukulkan, at KM12: those are marked, "Plaza Kukulkan").

Kgunn, please be sure to give us a report when Val gets back: everyone will be interested in hearing what kind of housing options he found, and the price range.
    Anybody see any errors in the above, please speak up. I use the buses, but don't normally go out beyond KM9.5. I was there this AM to greet the sunrise. A thunderstorm was threatening, with flashes of lightening between the towering clouds, making it even more dramatic to be there, at Playa Chac Maal.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. kgunn

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Will do!

9. kgunn

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Okay, sorry if these questions have been asked before. Just trying to get clarification.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to get internet speed of 10+ (download)?

Is a T1 or something similar available?

If so, what would be the estimated cost per month (just ballpark it for me)?

Regarding cell phones, is there a provider that has a US + Mexico calling plan? I need something where I can be in the states calling to Mexico and vice-versa without roaming (just a monthly fee for x-minutes or unlimited). I am currently with T-Mobile, but can switch to another carrier. I also understand about LAN options, this concerns cell phone issue.

Thanks in advance!

10. kgunn

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Cancun scouting trip report

Okay,

Trip update. My husband is at the Le Meridian. He stayed a night at the Westin, but found it too isolated and a long bus trip into downtown (even just to La Isla area).

He visited Alexandre, CES and Balam. The facilities at Alexandre were very nice he said (also you can pay tuition with AMEX, which is nice for Starwood members). But he walked away most impressed with the staff at Balam. So I think this is probably at the top right now. Traffic seemed tame compared to other cities and he says the city is very clean for the most part.

He looked at houses in Cumbres, Villa Magna, SM 17 and 19. All were nice. Did not like Campestre as much.

Groceries and dining are about half what we pay for our location in FL. Dining in the hotel zone is about the same.

I think the culture shock will be much less than other cities since there are so many American places. This will make the transition easier on them.

He is concerned about our son who is high-functioning autistic. Probably looking at pre-1st for them, but he is worried about him with the Spanish half of the school day. Alexandre is worried as well, but didn't say no--a possible shadow could be used. Anyone with other recommendations let me know.

He said the cost of electricity is much more than in the states. The house on SM 19 had a bill of over $7000 pesos for two months. The real estate agent indicated it could be twice that much if running it all day. Wow!

I still need answers to:

Can someone tell me if it is possible to get internet speed of 10+ (download)?

Is a T1 or something similar available?

If so, what would be the estimated cost per month (just ballpark it for me)?

Regarding cell phones, is there a provider that has a US + Mexico calling plan? I need something where I can be in the states calling to Mexico and vice-versa without roaming (just a monthly fee for x-minutes or unlimited). I am currently with T-Mobile, but can switch to another carrier. I also understand about LAN options, this concerns cell phone issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice