Questions about living in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by kgunn, Jun 2, 2010.

1. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's been so long since I've posted (um, twice), just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I lived in both Cancun and Merida (and Buctzotz, where my husband is from), and while I agree that Merida and the Yucatan interior are significantly hotter than Cancun, I also have to disagree with the generalization that Yucatecans are ALL stubborn. That's pretty harsh.

Also, on the topic of Merida drivers: I've stepped out of far more taxi cabs in Cancun with my heart racing and thankful to be alive than in Merida. That's my personal observation. :)

When I lived in Merida I had a nice furnished apartment with A/C and all utilities (including internet) included, and was $4,500 pesos/month close to the Macroplaza in NE Merida. In Cancun I paid $4,000 pesos/month, no utilities or ANYTHING included in an old apartment that smelled like a sewer. In defense of my stinky Cancun apartment, it was close to the HZ. In Buctzotz, the rent for a 2 bedroom house was $400 pesos/month. ;-)

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think what most people have recommended in terms of neighborhoods and schools in Cancun seem dead on, so I don't have much to add there.

Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate here by continuing to head off subject, but I'm marrying into a Yucatecan family and have many Yucatecan friends. They joke and call themselves "Yucatercos" ("Yuca-stubborns" I guess it would translate into English... a little play on words).

I've met some stubborn ones in my time (certainly not every single one), but I can also say that they are very gracious, generous, welcoming people.

Anyone seen the House Hunters International episode with the couple looking for a house in Merida? Awesome :) Almost makes me want to leave Cancun. ALMOST.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Gringation, don't go anywhere! We need you here!

It's true, there are many beautiful homes in Merida, and we looked at quite a few of them when we were considering moving there; but, the temps got us.

It's in the high eighties here, today, in Cancun: in Merida, it's in the low 100s. That's a difference you can feel, especially when you subtract the sea breezes we have here. The highs in Merida are much like what you'd have in Phoenix, but without the dry climate, so you'd really feel it.

For people like my wife and I, who like warm climates, what we have here, in Cancun, is just about as close to ideal as you can get.

4. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree! From my apartment to the Macroplaza was about 100 yards, but with the blazing sun and bochorno it certainly felt like a more. I thought Cancun was hot, but really the climate is (mostly) pleasant in comparison. :sunny:

5. Epic

Epic Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I Apologize for my previous post if you felt insulted in any way, That is just one of their various stereotypes (not all stereotypes are bad, when people think of Texas... big, bold & strong comes to mind) and I know the rule doesn't always apply & that exceptions exist, But i would like to point out how i never implied that is a bad thing. I am not yucateco & people who know me know that i am a Stubborn hard headed person too but in a lovable way...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  6. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Sorry Epic, but I have other words that come to mind when I think Texas...... sorry. I have friends even family that live there, but as you say, it's not as a whole.

7. Epic

Epic Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well i Blame Top Chef Masters & the fact i was kinda hungry when i wrote that. Damn you Tim Love & that Chicken fried strawberry...

I know this is completely off subject, anyone ever make the batter to chicken fry something in Cancun??

8. kgunn

kgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My husband is heading down on June 30 for a week to look at houses and schools. We have requested information from a few of them and still waiting to hear back.

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Get an extra bedroom, 'cause you're gonna have company!

We've been here just over a year, and one of the things we've enjoyed about being here is that our friends and relatives seem to want to visit. (Perhaps it is not just us they want to see??)

It's been a lot of fun living somewhere you want to show off, and others can enjoy, as much as they do Cancun.

SM15, which has been recommended, has a beautiful, small walking park right in the middle of it, and is walking distance to the largest and nicest mall in Cancun, Plaza de las Americas. Sports City, a popular place to exercise and be seen lies between them. It would be an excellent choice.

Opposite SM15, on the other side of Plaza de las Americas, there are a number of condos for rent: some projects are right on the lagoon, and offer amazing views across the water, and out to the Hotel Zone. These come with beautiful pools, and lots of green areas on the territory. There are also condos under construction, in the general area, east of PdeLA. This whole area will be very beautiful, when fully developed, and will feature a malecon, at lagoon side.

Good luck with the house hunt!

10. kgunn

kgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the info!

Quick question -- is there a good hotel close to SM15 that folks here recommend?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice