question please

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by gene37412, Sep 2, 2007.

1. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some time again I thought I read about an elderly lady that was deported for working. It was buried in some thread that was off topic.....at least I think thats what I read....does anybody have any details on this?

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I think Kim posted something about this. An elderly lady who was working as a translator off the record and was held in jail once discovered.

I have to say this; I know so many people here who flout the immigration laws and bypass the expense and hassle that the rest of us go through to get our visas. I cant say I have any sympathy with those living/working here illegally when they get caught.

3. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve I agree 110%.....no way in hell would I be here....especially with Alicia working unless we were legal all the way.....just not worth the risk to me...and for those that are under the radar...if they get caught OH WELL....

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    My current visa expires mid October so I'm starting to think about renewal again.

I have to have documents sent by courier from the UK, spend several thousand pesos plus maybe 5 or 6 trips to the office comprising possibly 10-15 hours queuing time.

But the only way to do things if you want to live here is the right way, and for those that dont the penalties I am sure are not much fun.

You roll the die you take your chance.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It was me who posted about that poor woman who was detained for doing translation work. The issue is that her employer was turned in to Immigration by someone who wanted revenge for some personal thing. Once INM has a report of someone working illegally they are obligated to follow up on it.

The fact is that Immigration laws here make it very hard for people to comply perfectly unless they do not need to work at all.

6. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG that seems to be very true.....It took Alicia months to get a work permit....luckily I am retired and it didn't matter if it ever came through or not but for those younger folks trying to support a family its just got to be a ball buster.....hey by the way did you ever find Harry a place to live....I forgot to ask at the last party.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Harry and I are still looking for him. I think we'll find him something quickly when he gets back in October.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice