question ~ guidance needed for trip

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by apple, May 26, 2008.

1. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If going to washington DC and Baltimore

what are the top three things one must not miss?

i have never been and am going shortly and would like some help with what to do while there for short period of time?

2. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well.....since we've never actually met before, it's hard to know what types of things are of interest to you.....BUT, I would suggest looking into a few things in particular if you've never been to DC/Baltimore before.

The 1st is the Boomerang Party Tour. You ride a bus to various bars/clubs....basically just bar hopping around town. This eliminates the need to drive, or more importantly, driving drunk in unfamiliar territory.

http://www.ridetheboomerang.com/

Then there are various companies that offer a shuttle bus service to all of the major tourist attractions. It runs continuously and stops at all of the most popular ones, you get on and off at your leisure. Your hotel will have the information on the various companies that offer this service.

But, some of the ones I preferred were:

The International Spy Museum
    U.S. Holocaust Museum
    National Air & Space Museum
    Arlington Cemetary
    Washington Monument
    Jefferson Memorial
    Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    White House
    Capital Building
    U.S. Supreme Court
    Library of Congress
    National American Indian Museum
    National Zoo
    Embassy Row
    The National Cathedral

A few things to note:

All of the museums on the National Mall are free.
    The National Zoo is free (one of the last in the country to remain free)
    If you have a friend you are meeting in DC, have them contact their state representative to book you a tour of the White House & Capital. It's a better tour than the normal tour and doesn't cost you more for the personalized service.
    The U.S. Supreme court is not in session now, so you wouldn't be able to hear any oral arguments during your stay.

If you can set aside an entire day to do the shuttle tour, you can see quite a bit of stuff within the day. Take your camera as many things are worth taking photos of.

As for Baltimore, I lived there for 3 years and always hung out in DC as I didn't find Baltimore to be all that interesting. Most of the historic sites are spread out and not walking distance of each other. The Inner Harbor is was the most touristy place to hang out when I lived there.

If you've never been to an ESPNzone before, Baltimore has one and it's a pretty cool place to see. A ton of virtual reality games like you've never experianced before. It's a fun time even if your NOT a gamer. The food is excellent, but a tad on the pricey side. It's worth a visit if you've never been to one.

If you have a car, it's not a bad idea to head over to Annapolis and visit the U.S. Naval Academy. It's pretty unique and quite a site to see.

Hope this helps some......

If you have more specific questions, I might be able to answer some of them & if not, the majority of my classmates are still living there and I could ask them about specifics you might be interested in if I don't know the answer.

Michelle

3. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know if anyone in your group is a beer hound, but if so, the largest multi-tap is Regional Food & Drink. (If I'm not mistaken, they have more beer on tap than anyplace in the world)

If bottled beer is anyone's thing, then Brickskeller wouldn't be a bad stop. They boast over 1000 different bottled beers.

The website for both is here:

http://www.lovethebeer.com/

Michelle

4. Currrrvy-on-crack

Currrrvy-on-crack Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Washington:

a geek answer: Holocaust Museum.

Also, the Spy Museum is really cool as well; I would go back.

5. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you can have your state representative get you tour of the whitehouse? hmmm

heres the low down,

amount of day is up in air. could be one full day or it could be a few.

one thing we are doing is going camden yards.

we are pretty much up for anything. museums and land marks are cool. and this is the problem. there is so much to see for them, therefore, i am having trouble picking some. (yes, i ama nerd and ordered the visitors guide from their website :oops: )

spy museum shall be added to the short list as it has had two recomendations.

i shall check out beer website as it is always very popular. :lol:

i am just trying to get an idea of which are hte best sites to see on a limited time frame so if its one day we are there, what should we not miss.

6. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My list is pretty much in the order that I enjoyed things from top to bottom. I am not one to do a ton of reading ALL DAY LONG so those museums that didn't require you to READ EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN were tops on my list and I enjoyed them the most.

It really comes down to what interests you more. I tended to do those things that simply are NOT available anyplace else.....so the zoo, even tho free, was not on my short list. I didn't see the see until I had been living in B-More for over a year.

But the Spy museum & holocaust museum were my top 2 by far. You really won't find anything that compares anyplace else in the world.

Michelle

7. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yeah i dont want to read too much either lol

i like to do the same see things that i cant see in other places. we have a holocust museum here. not that big, and we got to sit and listen to a survivor speak when i went. so i dont know if that one will make my short list, but the spy museum for sure!

and i want to do the smithsonian with all the tv stuff in it..yeah i know i know. but i like it i want to see the fonz's jacket and archie bunkers chair.....hahaha it is there with the rest of them right :?

i will use your list for sure when whittling down.

and since its not just me going..i spose i'll have to take input from others :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes.....there are 19 museums on the campus. All of them free.

You could spend a week or more going to each of them, but read about what museums have what in them BEFORE leaving home to narrow down what you want to see and figure out how much time you will need in each place you want to visit.

Here is the website to navigate through:

http://www.si.edu/

The campus is accessible via public transportation and the train in DC is very clean & efficient compared to most major cities in the US.

Michelle

9. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    excellent!

i am starting to look forward to this trip.

i'll hve to go thru the website and visitors guide.

any other suggestions still welcome

10. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Almost forgot, the Museum of Crime & Punishment just opened in DC. It's on my MUST see list. It is the brainchild of a lawyer, who like me, hated museums where you have to read every darn thing in the place.

If you don't care to read all day long, you might find this one interesting as well....

The writeup in the Washington Post isn't too favorable of the place, but what he describes about the place is just what I look for in a museum....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/19/AR2008051902694.html

Michelle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice