Question about charges when leaving message at hotel

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by DanceRat, Mar 24, 2008.

1. DanceRat

DanceRat Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just called Oasis Cancun to verify that my daughters have checked into their rooms... I said, please don't transfer me, but he did anyway, and although I tried to hang up before it rang through, it hit the voicemail anyway. So I called back to ask if there were any charges and he transferred me again... so this may be a dumb question, but does anyone know incoming charges for a hotel? Particularly Oasis Cancun?

Thanks in advance!

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have never heard of such a thing.

3. DanceRat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In what way?

Does that mean that hotels do not charge for incoming calls? Or that they don't transfer over to a room? Can you elaborate?

4. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To my knowledge there is no charge for incoming calls to a hotel room.

If they transfer the call to the room, the guest either answers or (at most hotels) it will go to a voice mail system, and there should be no charge for either of these things happening.

Outgoing local calls can cost $1 - $1.50 US per call but there is really nowhere you would want to call. If you need a restaurant reservation the concierge can handle that for the guest.

NEVER MAKE A LONG DISTANCE CALL FROM A HOTEL ROOM. They will teach you the new meaning of EXPENSIVE. There are other options like internet cafes, calling cards, Skype, etc.

Good luck.

5. DanceRat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's great!

I decided to bite the bullet and try calling again and got another person that spoke english a little bit better (I swear I'm going to study Spanish, I feel like such a dumb american), and he said that incoming calls are not charged. After I left a message I thought oh god maybe the voice mail messages are charged, but after reading your message I felt a lot better. I will just leave messages or call her and try to get ahold of her. Well, really I wanted to verify that she got checked in okay, and I'm assuming she did if they could transfer me to her room!! She just must be out with her friend drinking and having a good time. Thank you so very much for writing back. This is her first trip away from home to another country and although she is having a good time, mom is having a little bit of anxiety. Mom being me.

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can try sending her a text message. I think they are like $.15 for you to send and for her to receive for international. You can bet she has her cell phone on and sending messages to her buds back home.

She will be fine.

My daughter survived 3 months in London last summer and a week in Cancun last Spring Break.

7. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    we got a LOT of messages left on our hotel phone at the oasis a few weeks ago and didnt get charge 1 cent!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice