Quality of Life, Running/Swimming Venues

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 22, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    PLAYA "UNKNOWN"

You're so right, TraceyUK, about that stretch of beach, which seems to have no name! (I asked several people about it.) But, it lies between the Tortugas and Caracol beaches. (There doesn't seem to be a public access to it, and we accessed it through our hotel: I'll write more about my efforts to find a public access, in the future.)

My wife and I did something we've never done before, right there- by sitting in beach chairs, reading, eating, talking, and drinking wine- from 4:00 in the afternoon until 10:30 that night, luxuriating in the amazing beauty and tranquility of the spot. A guard on the beach provided a feeling of security that allowed us to stay out far later than we might otherwise have, but the pull of the all embracing experience- the beach, sand and sea, the wonderfully comfortable temperature, the view of Isla Mujeres in the distance, the sky, the setting sun, then rising moon- is what kept us there.

2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    ALBERCA, CRUZ ROJA

Life_in_Cancun wrote:
    Both my wife and I like to swim laps for exercise. This week I went by to enroll to use the pool, at Cruz Roja, just below the intersection of Iscaret, and Yaxchilan, on Yaxchilan. It costs 250 pesos, annually, plus an additional 350 pesos, monthly, for pool privileges, 10 AM to 2 PM, Mon-Friday. To swim there, you must also have goggles and a swim cap.

To enroll, you must bring a doctor's certificate of good health (no special form required), and two photos of the same type as is used for the FMs, front view only!

After I've had a chance to swim there, I'll tell you what what the experience was like.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    CRUZ ROJA POOL EXPERIENCE

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I recently had a chance to try the Cruz Roja swimming pool and, as you can see, I had it all to myself for the half hour I was in the pool.

The pool is "semi-olympic," its dimensions being exactly half that of an olympic pool, at 25 meters long, and 12.5 meters wide.

Four people were engaged in cleaning the facilities, and the pool and water were in fine condition- the water crystal clear, with no debris of any kind, anywhere.

The shower/locker area was also clean, and had what seemed to be an unlimited supply of hot water. (Bring a lock, towel, slippers, shampoo and soap, as you deem necessary, as none are provided.)

[Details, regarding pool hours, membership, and required equipment can be found in the post, above.]

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    OLYMPIC POOL NOW OPEN

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I went by Cancun's new Olympic Pool, yesterday, and am happy to report that it is now open for subscription. You may go any time between 8 AM, and 4 PM, weekdays, to enroll. The pool is on Chichen Itza, just east of Kabah, near SM32, for those who don't already know.

The stated requirements are as follows: a doctor's certificate of good health, which should include your blood type; your birth certificate; your C.U.R.P. number; your "credential de elector"; proof of your actual residence address; and, three photos of the size and type used for an FM2/3, front view.

You should take a copy of each document you plan to present, just in case they want to retain a copy for their records.

SOME SUGGESTIONS

1) If you don't have your birth certificate, your passport may suffice to meet this requirement. (Mine, for example, gives my name, place and date of birth, in English, French, and Spanish.)

2) Among the requirements for enrollment is a C.U.R.P. number. If you do not already have one, you can find details about how to get one on the thread, "Medical Care for Retirees," page 4, bottom.

3) It is said you need your "credential de elector", if you are an adult. I believe your FM2/3 should suffice to meet this requirement (it did when I applied for an INAPAM card, where the "credential de elector" was also part of the stated requirements).

4) The proof of residence should be of the quality used to obtain an FM2/3. (See the thread, "Navigating Immigration Cancun," page 1, 4th post, if you could use further details.)

Once you've gotten as far as needing to pay, there is an annual subscription fee of 200 pesos; and, a monthly fee of 400 pesos. These are both paid at HSBC Bank, to the account of "Comision Para La Juventud y El Deporte de Quintana Roo," account number 4045711371, according to the information I was provided.

[Cristobol Rocha, the young man I spoke with several weeks ago, and reported on page 2 of this thread, was under the impression that an initial limit of 150 would be imposed on the number of subscriptions, so time may be of the essence in getting yourself enrolled.]

5. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All that to go swimming?? :?:

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :lol: :lol:

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for checking that out V, it's a big todo to go for a swim! I was hoping they would have lessons for little ones, will have to get off my lazy $%$ and go check it out.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Too much of a bother?

Not quite, Gonzo. This is not really a "public" pool, if that means anyone can drop in, anytime, and pay for one time use of the facilities; plus, it's a government facility, so there's a little more red tape involved!

The procedure required of the public is for the privilege of "access", by subscription only, and open swimming is not the only thing on offer. You'll notice, for example, those great basketball courts, in the foreground, that Coby got so excited about- top of p.3, this thread.

Other programs offered here to those with access will become known only over time. (I limited my inquiry to pool use for adults, open swimming, which was my interest: sorry, Cancuncanuck, that I didn't ask for broader information, about programming!)

As for the detailed requirements, they are designed to limit access to those who are resident, here; and, to those who are willing to pay rather a lot for an occasional swim- if that's all they have time for. The fees insure that the project will have ample underwriting to be able to maintain it in fine form, just like they do the pool at Cruz Roja- p.3, this thread.

Payment to a bank, common here for official fees, guarantees the money goes where it should, and not into someone's pocket.

As for the doctor's certificate, this is a one time thing; and, regarding the blood type, I simply told my doctor what mine was, and he typed it in.

And, regarding the other requirements, those who are resident here already have most of these, in hand, so it's not too onerous for them. For example, there would be nothing at all I'd have to do, other than present the documents and photos I already have.

So, it's not as bad as it looks, in any case, and helps weed out those who are not very serious, anyway. Holding down the usage is an important part of keeping the facilities attractive, and pleasant for those who can be bothered to enroll.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Close to home

CC, did it ever turn out to pay dividends for your little family that the new sports/swimming complex was built so near your home?

10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, just ticking us off to be honest. We went over one Sunday to play on the courts outside, NO ONE was there, it was empty but the security guard kicked us out. We knew there was a monthly charge for the pool, but we thought that they would let a little tyke play soccer for a few minutes while no one else was around. We got into an argument with the woman, I distinctly recall being at the opening where both the mayor and the governor blah blah blahed about this facility being for all the kids of Cancun to keep them off the street, there are government logos all over the building claiming it to be public but apparently it's only for some of the (elite) population.

Aside from that ugly moment, the constant whistles we hear from over there are making me nuts, lol! We have "Vecinos Vigilantes" in our neighbourhood, everyone has a referee whistle and we are to blow it if there are any problems. Well, for the first months of the facility being open I was going out of my mind with the danged whistles blowing! I'm used to it now and not feeling like there is a robbery in progress every 30 seconds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice