Quality of Life, Running/Swimming Venues

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 22, 2009.

1. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Forget the pool, check out the basketball court!! That's what I'm talking about!
    Sort of more on topic, I vastly prefer the ocean for swimming versus a pool; it's just more dynamic and interesting to me. I swim around 2 km a day, almost every day. It's the only real exercise I do these days...but if that basketball court was by my house...

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Swim, punta cancun to punta sur

It could be, Coby, if you lived in SM32, Cancun! (Coby's speaking about the photos of the sports complex and Cancun's new Olympic sized pool, which appear on the previous page of this thread.)

That Olympic Pool looks pretty impressive, though, doesn't it?

I think there were two basketball courts there, in fact, along with a "soccer" field, also on a painted surface of some kind, just like the basketball courts.

Next time you get off the basketball court, how 'bout joining us for a swim from Punta Cancun, to Punta Sur, Isla Mujeres, next season? Your 2K workouts should be good prep for the 7-9K Cunspin says it is across there.

Sounds fun, doesn't it. Maybe Cunspin will join us, and maybe we can get up a Cancuncare Swim to Punta Sur! Steve, are you game?

When I look across that beautiful water- from the hotel zone towards Punta Sur- it just makes me want to wade in, and start swimming....

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    GETTING MORE INFO

Cancuncanuck, there must be people there, at Cancun's Olympic Pool, doing maintenance during the day, if you had time to go there to check on it. The pool itself looks too well cared for, for there to be no one in attendance there, ever.

It was late evening when I went by, so I didn't get to talk to anyone who works there.

I've gotten my medical certificate of (apparent) good health for the Cruz Roja pool, now, so I won't be "pool-less," much longer! Now, once I get the two photos they require, I'll be all set.

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What? I have homework?? ;-)

I'll see what I can do, a little investigative reporting never hurt anyone.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Um, ok, so maybe a little investigative reporting HAS hurt some people. But I'll walk softly and carry a big stick.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    BIG STICK BETTER THAN WORDS

That's the spirit!

7. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From What I have heard from the people "In the know" There is nothing goin on with the pool at all. They were trying to concession it but nothing has come of it.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    PLAYA CHAC MOOL, HZ

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I had a chance to try out Playa Chac Mool, on the Caribbean side of the Hotel Zone, very early one morning, this week. It was a very clean, wide beach, with no sea grass, period, at my visit. The sand was deep, giving way under your feet, and amazingly soft. The water was the usual clear, turquoise sea we love, here, the water temperature perfect.

An east wind was blowing, and the surf was up, red flags flying everywhere. The beach was deserted, except for me. Not knowing the beach, and the conditions there, I took my time going in, observing the action of the waves and checking for a bottom. What I found was that there were no currents to speak of, only the usual push and pull that comes with waves breaking near the beach. The bottom was mostly sandy, with that same lovely sand I'd found on the beach. There were a few underwater outcroppings of old coral, worn smooth by the action of the waves. I stayed in a half hour, thoroughly enjoying playing/swimming in the surf, and the amazing solitude, though I was surrounded by high rise condos.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The public access to this beach is the best I've personally seen, at the Hotel Zone. It is "access 6", almost directly across from Senor Frogs, at about KM9.5, and at which, the city buses stop. The bus stop on the way back is immediately next to the beach access entrance.

Rating (as of this date/season): outstanding access; great beach/sand; good bottom, but with some areas suddenly deeper than adjacent areas; fun, for those who like to swim in a surf; NOT good for those who don't feel confident in the water; NOT GOOD AT ALL for children, as you cannot watch them closely enough- for it to be considered safe- in those conditions. On a day that was not a red flag day, it still wouldn't be a good place for children, owing to the uneven bottom, which could easily catch a child off-guard and they suddenly find themselves in water over their head.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    OTHER BEACHES TO SUGGEST?

Having thoroughly checked out Chac Mool, and found it to my liking, has anybody got another favorite beach I could try? I'm open to suggestions!

10. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    My favourite beach is in front of the Presidente.Calm waters ,wide beach......................love it.
    Tracey

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice