Quality of Life, Running/Swimming Venues

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 22, 2009.

1. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been swimming for over 6 years in Cancun and my daughter is on a swim team so I am pretty familiar with all of the swim venues in pretty much the entire State. There are exactly 4,50 meter pools in Q,Roo 3 "Public" and one private (Albatros) of the public ones Playa, Cozumel and Cancun(actually Cozumels may be 25m) most of the year they are not even open or are man-made frog ponds. Anything that has to do with swimming depends on private citizens the Gov. is pathetic when it comes to any kind of sporting event.
    I am one of the "crazy people"that has a membership at Sport City and I love it, my daughter swims on the Squalos Team at St John's School. I spend about 1900.pesos a month on memberships and monthly dues for all 3 of us.
    I did swim in the ocean when I was training for OWS events and we generally swam at 7am from Punta Cancun to just past El Presidente and back it was around 3.5k. Another place that Squalos train at is from the first public beach (Las Perlas?) and there it is calmer with less current.
    You can swim laps at the Cruz Roja, St. Johns, Leonardo DaVinci, and Alexander school for a fee of around 650.00 pesos per month generally the hours are from 6 am to 9 am and from 7pm to 9pm.

2. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    We are members of casablanca and they have a great pool.
    Yes I know its expensive but right now they are doing "Deals" - barter like mad ! Also its possible to "rent" a membership for a year from the members that are not currently using theirs.
    Tracey

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    OWS events

I had to look it up, Cunspin! It appears you were referring to "Open Water Swimming" events (OWS), among other things, in your post.

Do you still participate in these? How often are they staged in the Cancun area? Where can we get more info about them?

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes there are events, the largest OWS is in May it is a 9 to 14 k swim (depending on your route ) and is held on the "Dia de la Marina". Usually there is one in Oct that is from the Oasis Calinda the Fiesta Americana Cancun but I have not heard anything....yet!
    Several people swam from Punta Cancun to Punta Sur of the Isla about a month ago it was an informal event that Abel Hernandez (Squalos) organized.
    If I do hear of anything I will post.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Punta Cancun to Punta Sur swim

That swim to Punta Sur you spoke of sounds exciting! As I've sat on the beach, this side, and looked across at Punta Sur, I've thought, "That sure would make a nice, doable swim." With the right support, it looks like it could be done, safely, even by us novices. How many kilometers is it?

6. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    7 to 9 depends on how straight you swim :wink:

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    How much of a factor are tides, and currents, on that particular swim?

8. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The current always is pretty much the same it's the Wind that can be a factor more than anything. Tides have zero effect in my experience.

9. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The current always is pretty much the same it's the Wind that can be a factor more than anything. Tides have zero effect in my experience.
    The reason I no longer do the "Cruces" has everything to do with Sea Lice and nothing to do with conditions, I am very allergic so I suffer .

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    CANCUN'S OLYMPIC POOL

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The new Olympic Pool is still closed, but will open soon, according to Cristobal Rocha, a young man who lives nearby and has been following developments there, closely. He says he's been told by those who work on the project during the day, that the pool will be open to the public on a subscription basis, much like the pool at Cruz Roja. He said he had every intention of being one of the first to sign up, because he thought the thing would quickly be oversubscribed.

Cancuncanuck, keep an eye on things there, so you can get your son registered at the first opportunity!

You can see for yourself that it's a handsome thing, and will be a nice addition to the city when it's finally "on line". It's located on Chichen Itza, near Kabah.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice