Quality of Life, Running/Swimming Venues

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, CC!

2. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I asked my Mexican family about this place (On Chichen, right?) and they said it was for training of professional athletes and that it's not intended for the public?

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Cruz Roja pool

I went by the Cruz Roja pool, today, to see what it was like. It is an apparently well run, public pool but use of it requires the payment of an annual fee of 250 pesos. (More about this, later.) Hours for "open swim" are 10 AM to 2 PM, Monday-Friday. If you choose this option, you will also pay a monthly fee of 350 pesos. There is another option, with broader hours: you can choose to have an instructor, and swim for one hour, Mon-Fri, 6 A.M. to 10 AM; or, 6 PM to 10 PM. The cost is only slightly more, at 400 pesos per month. To enroll for the use of the pool, you must produce two photos, and a doctor's certificate. Caps and goggles are required attire for both men, and women, when in the water. Swimming classes for children, one hour each in length, meeting three times a week between the hours of 2 PM and 6 PM, cost just 350 pesos per month.

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, it's on Chichen. My understanding is that it is supposed to be like a community center. We went to the big opening and Greg Sanchez and Felix Gonzalez both talked about what a great opportunity this was for the poor youth of the city. They said it was the second public sports venue that has opened since Greg took office, the other being down at Tulum and Chichen with the renovations of the basketball courts. We shall see what actually happens.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Cruz Roja pool

So basically from what i understand you can only swim freely (without an instructor) between the hours of 10am and 2pm, when most people are working? That's a shame.

7. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info, sadly my Spanish doesn't extend that far yet. Any idea how much they will charge? If it was like 50 pesos or something like that then it might be okay, if it's free, then there would be no room in the pool, for kids and rubbish!

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi, Sam, that's right about the hours of the Cruz Roja pool. It may be possible to strike a deal with an instructor for him to demonstrate some of the many swimming strokes, then have you go off and practice them for the balance of the hour. I don't know if that would depart too much from their mission- to teach people how to swim, as a matter of personal safety- but it may be possible, so long as the place is not very busy. (When I was by there, at around 10:30 AM, there was just one person swimming laps and one child having an individual swim lesson.)

9. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Red Cross pool is the cheapest option that I know of in Cancun.... it also has the added benefit that you know the money is going to a good cause (in addition to the maintenance costs) plus if you do go and drown yourself, your surrounded by paramedics :lol: so its about the safest pool in the world I'd think....

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Chac Ma'al

We tried your suggestion on Sunday, SamCancun, about running beyond the El Mirador, at KM 9, in the hotel zone. There were some nice views, as you you said; and, we also found a very clean, public access beach that was deep, and very broad, with lots of white sand, called "Chac Ma'al". We didn't go in, but the water and beach looked good, there. I didn't see rocks or sea grass, either in the water or on land. (The water was churning, and it was early AM, so I can't be sure about possible rocks below water, but I didn't see any, at all). Thanks for the suggestion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice