Purchasing antibiotics

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Cancun Redhead, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Cancun Redhead

Cancun Redhead Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello All! Not my first visit to Cancun by any means, or to this forum either, but it's been a while!!

Quick question... am I able to purchase antibiotics or other medications that are not "controlled" in Cancun without a prescription? Specifically I am wanting to purchase antibiotics and everything I have read is conflicting.

So.. anyone know the answer?

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mexico began following international guidelines for use of antibiotics several years ago which means, as a practical matter, no pharmacy will sell you antibiotics on demand- a Mexican doctor must first prescribe them for you.

If you go to the chain of pharmacies called SIMI you will find that associated with them is an outpatient medical practice where you can join a queue and wait your turn to see a doctor. If you can persuade the doctor to write you a prescription- easier there than in some other practices- you'll be in business.

As for other medications you can buy them without a prescription, unless they are of some controlled classification, such as sedatives as an example.

Commonly used medications can be bought freely without a prescription. Check prices at COSTCO before you buy, however, as they often have the best prices on certain medications.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    For those who would like to shop prices of medications in Cancun I'd suggest swinging by the local COSTCO to compare prices with what you have to pay in the U.S. or other places. Not only are they often cheaper, I think COSTCO also has a reputation to defend, and is more likely to offer quality drugs.

For harder to find items the Pharmacia de Especialidades, Av Tulum, is the place to shop, as well as Galenia Hospital, which often has competitive prices on certain drugs.

4. Cancun Redhead

Cancun Redhead Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Had a great trip. With regard to the meds...we were able to walk into the pharmacy and purchase 2 diff antibiotics, tramadol and phenteramine...all without prescription. Missing the beautiful weather!!

5. Chris&Tammy

Chris&Tammy Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    We almost always purchase some Amoxil, Cipro, Z packs, and other things at Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, and pharmacies in the Hotel Zone and have never been asked for an RX.

6. campalex310

campalex310 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where did you buy the Penteramine and if I may ask, what was the cost?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice