Pumpkin Pie stuff needed

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Mar 5, 2008.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I smuggled in some pumpkin pie mix. I have my secret ingreidient and I have ground cinnamon BUT I went to Walmart last night and failed miserably at finding what I need to complete the deal.

CAN ANYONE POINT ME TO WHERE I CAN BUY:

GROUND CLOVES;
    GROUND GINGER:
    FROZEN DEEP DISH, OR FROZEN ANY SIZE, PIE PANS.

I am not a good enough cook to make a pie shell from scratch, even if I wanted to.

Maybe I will have to wait till next trip for my spices and maybe I will have to tough it out and try to make some dough that you eat and not spend.

Gracias.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cloves = McCormick Clavo Molido - available at Soriana.

Not sure if I've seen Jengibre Molido or not, but you can buy a bit of it fresh at Soriana and smash it in a garlic press.

Costco and Soriana both have pre-made graham cracker pie crusts, but Pumpkin Pie recipes usually call for a regular pastry pie crust. And I've never seen a pre-made regular pie crust here. If I were looking for one I would check the frozen sections of Costco, Soriana, Walmart, etc.

But TJ dear, making pie crust is not that hard! It's just lard or shortening (manteca) and flour, salt and a splash of cold water. And I can probably find a rolling pin around here to loan you.

Here's a recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1937,132186-246195,00.html

3. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't think they'd let me transport frozen pie crusts on Friday...lol

good luck with the pie TJ

4. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A friend of mine brought the frozen pie crusts down last Thanksgiving for pumpkin pies...maybe someone can smuggle a few down for you!

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    DConCT and Rivergirl:

DConCt - Would you consider smuggling it a can of Ground Ginger and maybe one of Pumpkin Pie Spice. And if it is not way too much to ask, another 15 oz can of Libbys Pumpkin Pie Mix would be over and above the call of duty. But no big deal either was as I go back to the states for 9 days on the 16th so another 3 weeks of no pumpkin pie is a managable problem.

Rivergirl / Kim - I have tried everywhere and was at Soriana this morning. Did not see the Clavo Molido but I bought a package of Clavos and can turn it into what I need with my blender. I did not see the Ginger Root there or at Walmart last night but this is not life and death. I can get a roller from my woman but if that fails I will call you.

Gracias to all.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At Soriana the ginger is against the wall in the produce area to the left of the door to the back room, in a cooler. It's to the right of where the spinach and cilantro are found. The quality isn't always what you would find in the States but they've had it in stock every time I've looked for it there.

I bought my clavo molido at Soriana, but they aren't great about getting more spices in when one runs out, so they may be out. You can come borrow mine if you like.

7. Sapphire

Sapphire Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    T.J

If you do not want to try and make your own pastry, You can buy it already made in Costco and Walmart. It come in a large amount and you will find it buy the bakery.

8. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have bought ground ginger at Chedraui, along with ground nutmeg, which although you didn't mention it, you probably need and then will be ready for egg nog season as well! Provecho!

9. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was thrilled last week when I saw that Chedraui in Plaza las Americas had Mrs. Smiths frozen pies and cakes. I didn't notice if they had pumpkin pie, but I do like Mrs. Smith's pumpkin pies. I bought Mrs. Smith's carrot cake and it was fabulous. They also had Pepperidge Farm cakes, so I'll be returning soon to get the coconut cake. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice