Pros and Cons of Mexican Culture

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by drewp, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ - Oh good! That will save me the trouble of delivering you an invitation. Maybe we can fit you and your friends in at the kiddie table? ;)

2. Benuk

Benuk Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Myself and my girlfriend have travelled to over 20 countrys in the last 4 years and never have I been to a place where good food can be brought so easy and cheapley. I've not had one bad meal in 4 months.

Negatives, the way people drive. But then thats just how they drive out here and somthing I have had to get used too.

3. Gringation

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Benuk - True! There is a lot of great, cheap food... and that's considering most Mexicans tell me Cancun is one of the more expensive cities in the country! I love taco stands :)

4. Benuk

Benuk Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to Market 28 yesterday 3 very good Tacos for $40 and 6 beers for $75, thats unheard of where I come from...

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The happy median

One of the things I think I'm beginning to become aware of is how happy the Mexican people are. (On self assessment, Mexicans report being happy more often than any other group.)

It seems to me that Americans (I'm one) are a bit more serious. Mexicans are beginning to come across as a little more light hearted and ready to enjoy life, than I am.

This will be a challenge, to learn to take things just a little less seriously....

Gringation, I was in a part of town, recently, in which there was a sign advertising two beers for 20 pesos! To live as the locals live is to live cheaply, indeed!

6. Gringation

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V - They are very happy, and it's contagious! (not to mention all the sunshine) I didn't realize how depressing Americans were (myself included) until I moved here hahaha

2 for $20? Sounds great, although I'm scared to ask where it was!

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It was on the bus route, through town, from the U del C to Cancun, Centro. It's mostly modest Mexican neighborhoods, the parts of town the working people tend to live, of which at least 4/5 of Cancun consists.

It would be safe enough, most times, but few expats are apt to spend time there, as there would be little to draw them there, other than having a friend living in that part of town.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  8. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not to change the focus of the op, but since I am also American and I deal with them everyday here, I am so sick of the good amount of nasty attitudes. These people are on vacation and still carry a chip on their shoulder. Just today, ppl were comlaining that their hotels didnt provide a Thanksgiving meal. Really? You honesly expected a foreign country to celebrate our tradition??? It made me sad and angry to deal with them

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Spanish/Mexican contrast

We recently spent eight days in southern Spain, and had a chance to contrast the behavior of the Mexican people (there's quite a difference, it seems to me!).

The Spanish were very direct, almost abrupt in their style. For example, the waiters would generally say something like, "What do you want?", when they approached the table for the first time. There was never a greeting, that I recall.

Also, unlike the Mexicans, who often engage us in conversation in which they express interest in knowing more about us, the Spaniards never did.

One Spanish young woman we spoke to about this said her countrymen were often considered rude, because of their directness, and shortness, of speech.

The trip made me appreciate the warmth, and friendliness of the Mexican people that much more.

10. Gringation

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V- Interesting differences! I'd never heard that about the Spanish before.

I definitely appreciate the warmth of Mexican culture. It's the indirectness I can't stand sometimes haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice