Pros and Cons of Mexican Culture

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by drewp, Apr 22, 2010.

1. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've always gotten laughed at in a good-natured way over my Yucatecan accent! In whichever part of Mexico I've traveled in, I always found people to be accommodating and kind when I was learning Spanish. Sharp contrast to how many people in the US get impatient with people who speak English as a second language.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The 80% Rule

One thing I don't think that's been mentioned, so far, is Mexico's "80% Rule."

What it means, simply, is that for many people, 80% is good enough.

Take the man who comes to install new flooring, and paint your house, indoors.

When he's finished, you complain to him about the paint and cement left on your new flooring, to which he replies, "But senor, 90% of your flooring has no paint or cement on it at all: you're lucky I'm one of the careful ones." :icon_confused:

Fortunately, professional people in Mexico- such as doctors- don't usually apply this rule so liberally to their work!

3. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Drew, are you from Cleveland? I'm going back in June if you need anything.

4. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here are links to two of my favorite blogs (same author) with many interesting and often humorous observations on Mexican culture.

Peeks at Mexico

The Bierce account

5. Nevets

Nevets Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks CancunGringa.....Those blogs were a great read!

6. drewp

drewp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Other than you taking me with you . . I'm all set:)

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    A cultural difference, perhaps

Here's one possible one, from my recent experience.

On Wednesday, I invited nine of my Cancun friends to join me for dinner. All of them were people I'd met here, and had not known, prior to coming to Cancun. Six were foreigners- two from Canada, three from the U.S., and one from the U.K. Three were Mexican people, speakers of English. On the telephone, all expressed pleasure at having received the invitation. Most asked for clarification of the details regarding time, location, etc. I didn't say who else was going to be there, nor what significance, if any, there was to the dinner invitation.

The six "foreign" guests appeared for the event: the three Mexican guests did not. There were excellent personal qualities in all of them, so I was looking forward to each guest meeting some of my other friends, and having the pleasure of explaining to all the importance that each held for me.

Anybody that's tried to organize an event where it's important to know who will actually be there- to match up the guests a little- know how useful it can be to have a "read" on who's likely to be there. I expect this great difference in the response to my invitation to be somehow tied up in cultural factors, and I'm sure there are those of you who can offer an explanation and tell me how, in the future, to ferret out the local people who are merely being polite when they express interest from those who are sincerely interested.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V- I've been here for five years, and I have yet to figure that out. The main solution seems to be to never assume anyone is coming. If they do show up, it will be a pleasant surprise. :)

Here are a few pointers to improve your odds, but none of them is sure-fire:

-The best bet is to mention that there will be alcohol and some sort of grilling involved. You'll have a hard time convincing Mexicans to go to your house just for chit-chat.

-Asking them to bring something might make them feel more involved. (something inexpensive, like their favorite beer) For small get-togethers in Mexico, the host will usually wait until some of the guests get there, then the men will head out to Walmart together to all chip in for the food/supplies/beer.

-Don't call them in advance. That way they'll have more time to decide they don't feel like going. Call about 3 hours before you want them to show up and say the party has already started. They should get there right on time, about 3 hours after you call.

Mexicans don't do well with pre-planned events, in my experience. They're usually more up for something that seems spontaneous. Why? Not a clue.

If you plan something in advance with them, they'll usually ditch you for the person who calls them right before they go out.

If you make plans in advance, but don't have some sort of follow-up call right beforehand, they'll assume plans are off.

Anyway, I hope someone else can give better explanations as to the inner workings of the Mexican mind. I know how it works, but I can't tell you why.

9. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have just the opposite problemhere in Veracruz. I invited about 4-5 people to have some shrimp and beer, and at least 20 showed up. It was spontaneous, and I have no idea how these brothers, sisters, cousins, and cousins of cousins, found out so quickly! But seriously, you'll find that same phenomenon in certain parts of the US; the midwest for example. A girlfriend of mine invited a bunch of people for dinner and no one came...she wasn't even fazed. They don't call Missouri, "the show-me state," for nothing.

The thing that bugs me the most about Mexican culture is their total lack of the concept of the "future". From living form paycheck-to-paycheck, to getting drunk on Sunday and not showing up to work on Monday, (and sometimes getting fired for that)to never showing up at all (no word-of-mouth business there)......these people just don't care. Many are paid on a cash basis, so they put nothing toward the social security system. I guess they plan on working until the day they die. My most reliable and consciencious proveedore is my painter...ironic that he spent his younger and more impressionable years working in the US.

Another possibility for non-showing people is that I have found that at least here, people are really paranoid about drinking and driving. Don't know about Cancun. It's a city and cabs are a cinch. I live outside of the city.

10. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Windknot has a good point! Just as likely that people won't show up, they may decide to bring friends along.

My fiance has parties at his house from time to time, and invites everyone he knows. About half the people that confirmed will actually show up, but then other acquaintances will find out by word-of-mouth and show up to hang out awhile. Lots of people opt to go for a few hours, then head off somewhere else. When one wave of people leaves, another wave will show up.

Right now I'm planning my wedding here, and we're having the hardest time with the guestlist. Getting people to confirm who's attending is a bitch, plus half of them have asked if they can bring their sister/second cousin/friend, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice