Propane Refrigerators/Freezers?????

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Windknot, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anybody ever seen one for sale in the stores????? I know they're made, but shipping one from the States will be prohibitive. But there's a lot of Q.R. that is not on the grid yet, so just wondering.

BTW, these units cost just a little more than a similarly sized electric one, and I am told they each use about as much gas on a daily basis, as would be required to keep a pilot light on a stove lit. In other words, next to nothing.

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last I checked, they are about $2,000 usd and the closest place I found them was Mérida. There are other companies in Mexico that will chip them to you though. I need one too and just haven't found one close or cheap!

3. Windknot

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, thanks for that, Jim. I hope it's the same mfgr. I found on the Internet. (Is it a US mfgr.?) But going to Merida with a pick-up truck is nothing, as compared to the hassle of having one shipped from the States. Can you provide any info. as to the name of the store in Merida? Thanks again.

PS...If what I've heard is true in terms of the efficiency, I don't understand why more folks don't own these gas units, instead of the electric versions.....and why they aren't more common throughout Mexico, especially with the cost of electricity at times.

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cosmos is one in Mérida:
    Oficinas Generales:
    Calle 38 No. 85 Col. Fracc. del Norte
    97120 Mérida, Yuc.
    México Tel: (+999) 948-4949
    Fax: (+999) 948-4949

If you go to http://www.cosmos.com.mx/b/f33d.htm#emailq at the bottom of the page, you will find an email link also. Keep me posted. Maybe it will be cheaper if we buy 2!!

There are also 3 Alternate Energy companies in CAncun who (as far as I know) don't have them but can get them on order.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This from a friend who lives off the grid up in Isla Blanca:

Don't know if that helps or not...

6. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That helps a lot!! Thanks.

7. Windknot

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, thanks, RiverGirl..that does help a lot.

BTW, Isla Blanca is where I hope to live. Anyone on the forum from Isla Blanca?

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not from there, but know it well. I've been going up there for years.

9. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Electrolux price is $1,958 usd + 10% iva for the fridge. 4-6 weeks delivery. 50% down and 50% on delivery.

1.- RGE-400 REFRIGERADOR A GAS, CUERPO EN VINIL, 2 PUERTAS, DIM. 59 X 67 X 161 CM, MARCA DOMETIC 1 1,958.00 USD

CONDICIONES:
    • PRECIOS COTIZADOS EN DOLARES AMERICANOS.
    • PRECIOS MAS 10% DE I.V.A.
    • FORMA DE PAGO: 50 % ANTICIPO, 50% CONTRA ENTREGA.
    • TIEMPO DE ENTREGA: 4 A 6 SEMANAS.
    • PRECIOS SUJETOS A CAMBIO SIN PREVIO AVISO.
    • SE TOMARA EL TIPO DE CAMBIO DE ACUERDO AL DIARIO OFICIAL VIGENTE AL MOMENTO DEL DIA DE PAGO.
    • MERCANCIA L.A.B. CANCUN Q. ROO.

10. CraigTulum

CraigTulum Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Howdy, just wondering if you bought yours. I have had an Electrolux for years, bought it used, but its starting to die on me. I also need one, Cancun is a lot closer than Merida unless their is a big price difference in Merida. Electrolux is supposed to be the top end for these kind of appliances.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice