Prodigy-TelMex - Tech Rant

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Jan 21, 2008.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My new laptop has a 802.11g wireless card. My old router is a 802.11b unit, bridged to a wired 2 Wire 1070 modem. Being a long term customer, I requested an upgrade to a "g" modem/router combo. Surprisingly, it arrived 2 days after I requested it.

Not surprisingly, it didn't work. It was slow, even with no security layer and rebooted regularly, particularly during a Skype call or file transfer. Last week I called Prodigy and asked for technical support. After my Spanish bogged down in the technical miasma of Internet speak, (reboot?) I got transferred to an English speaking support rep. I gently dissuaded him for reading his line by line diagnostic script and got him to understand the modem/router was FUBAR. He told me he would have a technician out within 72 hours.

About 5 days or 120 hours later I called again. There was no record of my call and no appointment for a tech call. This time, in Spanish, I made my displeasure known in no uncertain terms and received a case number (which, in retrospect I should have gotten before) and a promise of a rapid response. I hung up and within 2 hours a technician was at my door with a new modem. Surprise!

We tested my wired modem/wireless router combo. Then we tested the modem/router I had received. Then we tested the exchange modem/router he brought along.

The replacement unit performed worse than the exchange unit. After hooking up my old reliable 1070 Gateway modem and Linksys 811.b router, I showed the technician what the internet had to say about the 2071 2-Wire HG-T series currently being delivered by TelMex. The slow wireless performance and regular disconnections are a normal experience with this modem. And I know some of you are having no problems. Consider yourself lucky. The older black units with blue LEDs seem to be okay. The newer white units with green LEDs are junk.

The technician, who really knew his stuff, said he spends his days on this piece of junk and that TelMex will be switching to Motorola in the near future. He advised me to return this unit. I have been on the phone for almost an hour trying to do just that. The TelMex line, with its incredibly loud commercials and endless waits (and spontaneous disconnects) should be a required exam for sainthood. I hate all things TelMex.

Now, hooked up to my old reliable setup, things are humming along blissfully as I wait for TelMex to find their way to a wireless G modem/router combo that actually works.

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Doesn't sound too different from my ordering gas experiences.

3. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    M., you were so proud! So I have to consider myself luckY???

Liz... I know what you are talking about... ALL Mexican experiences :lol:

And this awful weather :evil:

But as people are used to saying.... you have to choose your hell :D

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No. Because you have one of the black units with the blue LEDs. They work. BTW, congratulations on the new headset. The microphone sounded great and you don't have to buy a new computer!

5. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hahaha!!!

No it is not black, I didn't even remember, it is grey, with green lights.

Thanks for the congrats, I hope we can experience it soon!! You could hear me? So it is even better than I thought :lol: Actually it works a lot every morning with Europe for money concerns. It doesn't have time to cool down. And thanks again, you are THE BEST!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice