Prodigy painfully slow?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Sep 14, 2007.

1. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what do the internet cafes use , because they seem pretty fast

2. jerales

jerales Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    speed

Well after a week of slowdowns (except if you want to surf at 2am) my speed returned back to it's normal self this morning, gotta enjoy it, I doubt it will last long. :cry:

[​IMG]

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems to be fixed

It's Friday night at 6:35 and things do seem better.

\[​IMG]

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Prodigy has to be the worst

Just when you thought things were getting better:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prodigy Infinitum has to be the worst ISP in the world. I've had better speeds in Eastern Europe. When I ran these tests this morning (around 7:30 AM) the ping time to London was so long that the test couldn't run.

5. luisdeita

luisdeita Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is our current speed.

[​IMG]

The upload should be renamed to slowload.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
  7. luisdeita

luisdeita Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG]

Today.

What speed are you getting Steve?

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually, if you're using any flavor of VoIP, like Vonage, Skype, Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo Messinger, especially with video, you're not going to be happy with a huge assymetry like 1297 down and only 95 up. ADSL, which is what TelMex provides, stands for Assymetrical Digital Subscriber Line. There's always a difference between upload and download speed. Today, at least on my line, things are normal (for Cancun). I don't even know if you could buy symmetrical service in Mexico.

[​IMG]

On a 2000 line, which means up to 2000 kbps download and 256 upload, the figure of 1752 and 209 are within the limits quoted by TelMex and acceptable standards of line speed minus overhead.

Of course TelMex offers a 4000 kbps ADSL service, but you'd have to sell your first-born to afford the monthly charges. Compared to the rest of the world, the TelMex/Prodigy rate structure is pure robbery, but more importantly it's an obstacle to small to medium business who more and more depend on the speedy exchange of data and the cost benefits of VoIP. Meanwhile Slim and his family grow richer every day.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Nope dont use any of those :) the only uploading I do is to send files to the server and they tend not to be very big.

Perhaps I'm missing a decimal point somewhere but doesnt luisdeita's speed seem to be ten times that of everyone else? This is my current speed from a supposed 2 Mb connection.
    [​IMG]

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was wondering about that myself. Could it be a Cablemas connection? I don't know what speed tiers they offer. Maybe luisdeita can clear that up. For sure, that's not a Prodigy result.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice