Prodigy painfully slow?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Sep 14, 2007.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone else DYING of slowness today or is it just my new stupid modem?

[​IMG]

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
  3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hard to tell when I'm at work. It's always sucky here.

4. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's a faulty router at the US end of the prodigy link.

Not a lot we can do here. It happened a couple of weeks back and took them a while to fix.

5. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You think you've got problems??? I'm on 8mb broadband, here in UK on Orange, it used to download at 1,250 kb/sec, recently it's been a whopping 24kb/sec, back to dial up days, don't you just hate ISPs?

What speed Broadband are you all on? What's the max you can get in Mexico, I would have thought it was high because of the infrastructure in the US or does it have no bearing?

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The max I am aware of here is 4mbits and its 2 or 3 thousand something pesos a month from Telmex. Its not an issue of infrastructure, but rather of greed. We in Mexico pay some of the highest telecom bills in the world, and the internet is no exception. I buy the "high speed" :roll: 1.3mbit service from Cablemas and pay around $35usd a month for the internet part of my service. There was a while there where I could get 4-6 mbits in the middle of the night, but they have switched over to a digital system and now I get EXACTLY, upto, 1.3bmit, not a bit more. In the real world most tests I do show 200 to 600 kbps. But there is basically no choice here, its either overpriced and unreliable Cablemas, or more overpriced and hard to get TelMex DSL. I've considered getting a satellite service from the States but even then I would have to pay for service here as the uplink.

BTW: I am assuming the SamCancun means KB/s as opposed to kb/s, which is to say bytes per second vs. bits.

7. jerales

jerales Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Internet speed

Hello all, same here, painfully slow the last week or so...download between 200-400kbps, after midnight it goes up to it's normal 1600-1700kbps. I have the 2mb Infinitum line. I have talked to others and we're all in the same boat. Calling Telmex is useless, they give you the same run around. They should be shot for charging us 599pesos a month and we cant even get up to 1000kbps!!! What can I say....monopolies.

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep, disastrously slow, particularly upload speeds. A gazillion years to get some pics up on the blog. Grrrrr. Liz knows what I'm talking bout.

The test I just did had 209 kb/s download, 82 upload.

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get Up Early

Well, I finally got hit by the afternoon slow as a bog issue. I tried extracting some info from the script reader at Infinitum support, but he was infinitumly unhelpful. Between 6:30 and 7:00 this morning things were cooking along well, so I guess I'll be doing some early morning computung until the issue is resolved. Here's a look at this morning's results:

[​IMG]
    Los Angeles

[​IMG]
    New York

[​IMG]
    El Paso

[​IMG]
    Mexico City

[​IMG]
    Calgary

[​IMG]
    London

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    10 AM Report

I can report that my speeds have been reduced by more than 50% since this morning's set of tests and it's only 10 AM. They obviously have a capacity problem. Bah! Humbug!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice