Prodigy outgoing email problems

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Anyone else experiencing problems sending mail via Prodigy?

My outgoing has not been working for over 24 hrs, we called them and it is a recognised problem that has affected some users since Thursday and they are allegedly working on it.

Apparently, you can reply using their webmail system. Of course that's only valid for prodigy email accounts, of which I use none.

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sent you an email. Prodigy is trying to protect us from spam. check out the announcement from them and my webmaster's suggestion and see what you think.

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thinking about it, that would really only affect incoming mails, right? Exactly what is your problem with outgoing? I have had problems with it really going but shows an error and it stays in the outbox and keeps sending and sending and sending.

I do know that Prodigy is constantly being blocked by servers in the U.S. since a large quantity of spam comes through their servers.

4. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am having the same problem at the store, I use Prodigy there at Cablemas at home. Please let me know if you find a solution.

5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Thanks for the email Jim - it does seem to have limited success in that I can send with one of my twelve accounts but for the other 11 (including cancuncare) it's still blocked.

The tip Jim shared was to change your outgoing mail smtp port from 25 to 26.

The same as you've experienced. Email stays in the outbox, the connection to the outgoing mail server fails and it just stays there retrying every few minutes with the same result.

I agree a block on outgoing mail doesnt affect receipt of spam and just hope this is a problem which gets put right soon and not an "improved feature"! There aint a lot of choice when it comes to choosing your ISP.

6. Ian

Ian Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You have an email account run by probably the best rave / dance band of the early 90's...... :lol:

I'm betting your pass word is either ' Firestarter ' 'Charley says ' or ' Smack your bitch up ' :lol: :lol:

I could be wrong though.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian :lol: :lol:

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I no longer use an email client, instead I use Gmail to manage my 12 different email accounts. Gmail has the ability to send from any email account you set up in it, so you really can use it in place of email software. And of course it can receive email from all of your email accounts. It's pretty snazzy.

8. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    What's it like for spam flitering Kim? I get around 500 spams a day but my spam filtering client means I really get to see any as they get auto deleted. Been using outlook for 5 years or more so it's kind of hard to make the transistion but perhaps I should give it a try.

9. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As you say, Steve, it is hard to change. I use Outlook Express with the Norton anti-spam program and love it and wouldn't change. It puts them into a separate folder that I glance over before I delete them forever. I too get around 300-400 spam messages per day--but then I have almost 20 email accounts too.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve - Gmail puts spam in a separate folder, so you can sort through it as you need to. I get about 100 spam messages a day. About 1 spam message every 3 or 4 months makes it wrongly into my inbox, Gmail seems to sort spam quite well.

I used Outlook and/or Outlook Express for many years. I tried Gmail on a lark and liked the user interface a lot. Then when I found myself preferring the user interface in Gmail to the one in Outlook I switched permanently.

It's really easy to set up your Gmail account to send and recieve other email accounts. And you can easily set it to auto-label messages so that you can tell with a glance which email address a particular email was sent to.

And Gmail has great threading. Threading means that all emails with a particular subject line are kept together in your inbox, this makes it super easy to trace an email exchange you've had with someone. The thread shows both sent and received emails with that subject. This threading feature is probably the number one thing I love about Gmail, it's great when you do business using email.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice