Prodigy Email Addresses Failing

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Jan 16, 2007.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now it's 10 PM. Their web is back, as is their webmail, but all my messages are gone! POP and SMTP (oulook, Eudora, etc.) are still not working.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Humph! I have a SkypeOut account, and it works great. Maybe I should check out SkypeIn b/c I need that incoming number...

3. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mixz1: Please don't apologize for your "technogeek" posts! We all sound like geeks when we talk about a subject that we know well, and I think that's great.

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I promise I won't get geeky. Skype works both ways, in & out, because of the way it utilizes the pipelines (ports) on your computer. There are 65,000 of them and Skype can negotiate alternate ports to use. Vonage and VoIP hardware/software can't and it's easy for Slim's cyberthugs to "shape" the traffic on the Vonage ports to sound terrible or make them useless. The audio quality on Skype to Skype calls is more like listening to a decent microphone rather than a telephone. Skype can also interact with Internet Explorer 7 to dial a number that's on a web page by just clicking on it. Skype is free and Skype to Skype calls are free as well.

You can now get Skype handsets that free you from sitting at the computer wearing a headset. I still do because I also use the video component of Skype to Skype calls to "visit" my family. See: http://www.skype.com/store/accessories/ for a selection of phones.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Skype or any company affiliated with it.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No, you're a geek with a lot of time to figure these things out!

Thanks for the info. And I'm not at all surprised that Slim is doing what he can to screw up Vonage. He's the greediest billionaire I know of. Someone with that kind of money could be really helping Mexico, but instead he lines his pockets. Creep.

My big thing is that I need my US clients to be able to call me on a US number, regardless of whether the computer is on. And when they introduced Skype In numbers I don't think you could have a set up like that, maybe now you can though, I haven't looked into it yet.

6. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I cannot answer your concern, Kim, but you can email Skype, they always answer, and very fast. Besides, after almost every call, there is a feedback page opening, they always try to improve the service.

I have SkypeOut, I save millions pesos with all my problems in France, the quality is usually excellent. I don't know Vonage (only the name, and they are more oriented to US/Canada). With Skype, you don't have any monthly fee (although I read something about that lately, not sure exactly what the point is).

I am not paid either by Skype :wink: nor do I own shares :lol: but after calling through UWT for years, I am very happy with them.

7. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ah.... and... to give my point of view on your first question, I have given up on my Prodigy emails long ago, they never work, for one reason or another...

8. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Kim - I use a Skype In number and it works great. If my computer isn't on it goes straight to voicemail (voicemail comes free with a Skype In account - or at least it did when I signed up).

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    http://www.skype.com/products/skypein/ You get free voicemail with a Skypein number and it works like a charm when your computer is off or you are busy and don't pick up the phone. With the cordless handset you don't have to be near the computer, either.

You can also leave your computer on (less wear and tear on the machine) and voicemail, as it should, will still pick up your unanswered calls.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice