Pro baseball in Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by CancunCanuck, Apr 22, 2007.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think this has been mentioned before, sorry if I am reposting old news.

Cancun has a new professional baseball team, the Tigres de Quintana Roo (the Quintana Roo Tigers). It's their first year here after transferring from Puebla. They are currently in first place in the division, yahoo! We went to a game last night and I was pleasantly surprised at the stadium and at how fun the game was. (I never, ever expected spotlessly clean bathrooms at a stadium in Cancun!) There was a TONNE of food available, all the usual junk stuffs (hamburgers, french fries, cotton candy) but also quite a few places selling tacos and burritos, big charcoal grills with yummy smelling arrachera, and quite a few desserts. Beer was CHEAP and plentiful, 18 pesos per bottle. The crowd was really well behaved and fun, very supportive of the home team, it was a sold out game. Overall, I was very surprised by how much fun I had. The mascot "Chacho" seemed to really entertain everyone, lots of laughs with him.

The tickets were cheap too (at least compared to Blue Jays tickets!). General admission was 15 pesos, next level was 50 pesos, central for 70 pesos. They had some great boxes but I didn't see what the prices were, I can't imagine they were outrageously priced. We were kind of behind home plate with pretty good seats for 70 pesos. (Tigres won, 2-1 over their rivals the Diablos!)

So, something for the sports minded Cancun lover, an alternative to the nightclubs and a good choice for a fun family night out. Here's the website for the team, the next home games are May 1-6, every day that week. I think all the games are in the evening, weekend games start at 6 pm. http://www.tigres-qr.com/tigres2007/calendario/calendario.html

Here's some pics too, sorry for the poor quality but we were behind a big protective net which kind of messed up the shots....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The obligatory cheerleader shot....
    [​IMG]

2. alexjmess

alexjmess Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This looks amazing....how do you get tickets (in advance)? Where exactly is the stadium?
    Is it safe for a Gringo like me to go to a game like this?

3. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That looks like so much fun. Karen and I always try to go to a local baseball game wherever we go, and now Cancun will be added to the list. Thanks again for the tip!

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As far as I know, you can't get tickets in advance, I went to the box office the day before the game to secure seats. The stadium is very easy to get to, it's just behind Walmart. It is absolutely safe for a "gringo", though some rudimentary Spanish might be useful. Since so many Cancunenses speak English, you might just find nice person in line to help you out with any language problems. I felt very safe, even with all the beer consumed, everyone was on their best behaviour and I didn't witness any kind of trouble at all. Lots of families with kids in addition to the groups of men out for a boy's night.

If I find a way to get advance tickets, I will let you know.

lambert, you and Karen would love it, a fun time for sure!

5. justjimmy

justjimmy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cool

That's way cool Canuck. Thanks for the tip.
    Faith and I will be there May 4-11. Too bad the blurriest picture was of the cheerleaders :(

Jimmy

6. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Re: Cool

agreed

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL, such boys you are! Sorry about that, I had to really zoom in and through that net it was difficult. My bad! (Hey, at least you got a teaser view, eh?)

8. YamYamMan

YamYamMan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice one fancy a bit of that, were there from 14th May to 28th May any games on during that period????

9. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks like there are games in Cancun May 22-24. Weeknight game time is at 7:00 PM according to the website.

10. YamYamMan

YamYamMan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My god thats a bargain!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice