Poll- Comedy in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by CancunCanuck, May 5, 2006.

?

Would you go to a comedy club while on vacation in Cancun?

1. Yes- if it were free

100.0%
  2. Yes- would pay a cover

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've always had a dream of having a comedy club in Cancun, it's something I did when I lived in Toronto and I miss it so much. Still have lots of comedy connections and am curious to know if it is a feasible venture in Cancun.

2. Red2PartY

Red2PartY Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it were set up right & there were good comics I think it could be successful...there's a lot you could do with that.

3. Angie

Angie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Kristen ~ if it's setup right, I think it would go over very well.

4. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I believe that I have made my favorable opinion known to you over 2 hours and many beers at Steve's house, Ms. Canuck... :D

It's all about the location and the expenses. The people will come if the comics are noteworthy. You just have to work out the right lease. And I still think that finding a place that can be a restaurant during the day and comedy club at night is the way to go, since the restaurant will defray costs and help you get through those slow times when you can't book a more widely known headliner, or the weather is particularly bad.

I have lots of experience in running high-volume restaurants on the beach in very sunny places. Let me know if you find a location that is a possibility.

Keep dreaming, it will happen :D

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ooohhh, did I blather on and on at Steve's place DCon? Oops, been known to do that, lol! Thus, my friends telling me to quit talkin', and start doin'! :D

6. Mike L.

Mike L. Regular Registered Member

Chicago via Nuevo Vallarta via Canada via Seattle
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    If you could get big names and up and coming funny people...it would so fly down here. Imagine Chris Rock... :lol:

7. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You didn't blather. You got me interested. You have to talk to generate interest and plan your attack :D AND..it was a fine excuse for us to drink another 6 beers that night. :cool:

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Heheh, yeah we've chatted about this one too.

As a regular goer to comedy clubs in the UK I would certainly go to one here if there were good comics there and be happy to pay a cover charge.

I do think though, the comics fee plus expenses (i.e. flight and accomodation) would make it cost prohibitive.

I think that the appeal would be with with expats moreso than tourists and I'm not sure the expat comunity would be large enough to support it.

With tourists who maybe only here for a week or so, if comedy clubs is something they do at home then I'm not sure how mnay would also want to visit one here. Say rather than a night at Coco Bongo or a day out at Chichen Itza. If they dont visit comedy clubs at home then I doubt it's something they'd try on vacation for the first time.

A possible exception would be to get a big (very big name) comedian and use somewhere like Dady Rock or Ultra Lounge to provide the venue and promotion.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I think that's another point, I've never heard of Chris Rock.

To illustrate the point. Imagine Johnny Vegas, Sascha Cohen, Ricky Gervais or Peter Kaye? Yeah you've probably not heard of them either, but they are very famous in the UK and could fill a 10,000 capacity venue no problem, some of them several nights over.

Comedians are country specific and any particular comedian wouldn't necessarily attract other English speakers from outside their own native country, unless they are world renowned.

10. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice