Please help me choose resort with a 15 year old!

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Adr22367, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Adr22367

Adr22367 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been staying at the Crown Paradise since 2001 and it's time for a change, as I don't like it since the new owners took over! My son will be 15 next month and I'm looking for something similar in regards to the activities by the pool for him. We were going to book the new Grand Sunset Princess, but have read too many bad things about the resort and the beach itself. I've narrowed it down to Ibeorostar Quetzal/Tucan, which I hear the beach isn't good anymore, the Paraiso Beach, and Barcelo Maya Tropical/Colonial. Out of the those, how are the beaches, can you go in without water shoes? Do they all include room service? How is the entertainment by the pool for teenagers, such as do they have a different activity each hour like water polo, tequila volleyball (without the alcohol), etc. How far are they from 5th Ave? Any major differences between them that would help me choose? Any other suggestions, even near the Crown Paradise is okay. Thanks :)

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Our family resort of choice is Great Parnassus, which is located pretty close to Crown Paradise, we've been there a few times. I'm not familiar with hotels that are more towards Playa.

Our daughter is only 3 so it's a little different but they have plenty of entertainment for kids of all ages. And a kids swimming pool area with a younger kids pool and a teen pool with bigger water slides etc. There's also a kids disco and adults only bar for when you want some time.

Beach was not great, our last trip was Nov and the beach had shrank since our previous visit a month earlier. Sea is normally too rough to swim in, but that's not unusual for that area.

Service is top notch, premium drinks, excellent food. We'll be back there soon.

3. Adr22367

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Steve :) A few years back when Crown Paradise changed owners, I heard that the entertainment staff was going there. I asked around and no one had heard of a Joel there. Do they have different activities by the pool each hour and include the kids? If they're doing tequila volleyball, what do the teens do?

4. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I've only stayed there a couple of times for a couple of days each time so I dont really know it that well as regrads the Ents staff.

They have beach and water volleyball and soccer and other stuff going on at night e.g X Box racing on the giant screen, there's also a bar with pool tables and video games etc.

The ents team is huge probably 20 or so people so I'm sure that your 15yr old would not be bored, but as mentioned our daughter is only 3 so we didnt take much interest in what the teens were up to.

5. Adr22367

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay...thanks so much for all the info :)

6. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve beat me to the punch with the Great Parnassus suggestion, but I will throw a few more choices into the mix. All Inclusive Resorts that routinely get good reviews by families with kids include:

Dreams Resort-good choice if you like dolphins because they have their own dolphinarium
    Riu Cancun-this is a very active resort with many fun people to meet and interact with
    Gran Caribe Real-this is also an active resort with poolside activities
    Omni Resort-this resort is highly rated by families with kids
    Club Med-the most activities choices by far with amazing food and beach

I know that making a decision can be a bit confusing. Whatever you do, don't worry and stress yourself out over it, planning your vacation is really half the fun, so enjoy.

CANCUN TOP 100
    212eric

7. Adr22367

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Eric! I was at the Omni back in 2000 and loved it, but they didn't have the activities like the Crown Paradise. Club Med was another one on my list, as I was there back in 90 when it wasn't family oriented. I've heard good and bad about Great Parnassus. As of now, the 2 I'm thinking of more are Gran Porto Real and Barcelo Maya Colonial. Is the owner of the Great Parnassus the old owner of Crown Paradise, Sal?

8. Adr22367

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The water was always pretty rough when we were there, but something my son enjoyed more because he took the boogie board out. I believe in all the years I was there, maybe three times I saw the yellow flag raised. Where is the Great Parnassus, I thought it wasn't far from CP, and the beach would be the same. I know my friend had wanted us to stay at the Oasis Palm, but the water on that end is supposedly very calm.

9. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Great Parnassus is not far from Crown Paradise club, it's the other side of The Hilton.. maybe a km or two towards downtown.

10. Walshlaw

Walshlaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always recommend the Royal Resorts. I have been going there with my children and other family members for at least 15 years. Excellent for families. Each resort has on-site activities desk for scheduling your excursions. The beach is excellent. We will be at the Royal Islander in 2 weeks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice