Pioneros - Our local pro basketball team

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Oct 13, 2013.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Los Pioneros de Quintana Roo are 4-0 to start the season, winning all four games on the road.

Home games are Thursday and Saturday of this week, at 8 pm at the Polyforum. Our team has made a lot of personnel changes in the off season.

Tickets go on sale an hour before game time at the Polyforum. The best seats are in the Gold and Silver sections and are $130 each.

This is great and inexpensive entertainment and our team is obviously good and off to a great start this year.

Hey V, do you want 2 for either or both games?

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pioneros Start Season 6-0

What more can I say. Well, I could say that it will be hard to beat a really good team with our undisciplined, playground style offense. We have some great defensive players but we give up too many easy baskets when we cannot defend plays that you learn in high school. Turnovers are far too many. For those in our little group who attended all or nearly every game, no one likes the coach who finished the season with us and is running the team this year. Another example, our leading scorer last year and possibly the best one on one player in the league took 4 and 0 shots in the two home games this week. We have no rotation for having certain players on the court during certain situations. A fast paced offense can be fun to watch but not when they race down the court and fire up a 3 pointer from far behind the line. It is painfully obvious we are going to get outcoached most games.

Will we try not to miss any games this year. Absolutely. Guys like Hernandez and Soriano play their hearts out every single minute they are in the game and were instrumental with clutch plays these two games. Other guys who should be on the floor were conspiculously absent when they should be out there.

Horacio Llamas, our gentle giant/center retired as a player and this year is an assistant coach. He was honored tonight by having his jersey retired by the team. No other Pionero will ever wear his #17. His lovely wife and beautiful children joined him at center court for the pregame ceremony.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice