Photo questions

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by BSN, Jan 10, 2008.

1. BSN

BSN Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Scott and thanks for sponsoring the forum and all the great images!
    I just got a pentax super d 100 for Christmas and am trying to learn about the processing. For your B&W's do you process them after taken a color shot?

For the picture below:
    [​IMG]
    Did you have to filter or anything to it? What exactly do the filters do. It is an amazing picture!

So much to learn, filters, aperture and more!!
    TIA

2. babyskys01

babyskys01 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What a beautiful pic!!!!

3. Scott in NH

Scott in NH Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry for the delay in responding. It's the middle of preparing for the upcoming exhibit season.

The first question: I have a fairly lengthy process to convert my color images to B&W. Just "desaturating" will leave you with a very flat and unattractive image. If you would like some more details about this procedure, let me know. I'll be happy to help you out.

Second Question: There was no filter applied to that image. I was very fortunate with the light and the atmospheric conditions that morning. I had to adjust the levels slightly, but that was it.

4. BSN

BSN Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Scott, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have since added a UV filter and I purchase a circular poloraztion filter. I have not had a chance to try that out due to work and weather. I am getting the latest photoshop, I have CS1 now. Any info you have time to share I am all ears!
    Thanks

5. Scott in NH

Scott in NH Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When working in digital, there are only three filters that you should ever need to carry.

1. UV filter that should always be on your lens as a protective barrier.
    2. A polarizer
    3. A Neutral Density (or combination of neutral density filters).

The most expensive of these should be the polarizer. You get what you pay for. Depending on the size (lens diameter), you should expect to pay from $50 to $100+ for a good polarizer. Just compare it to buying a good pair of sunglasses for your camera.

The UV Filter should be the least expensive, but it will offer you the most protection. You'd much rather get a scratch of a $30 UV filter than on your $1000 lens, right? The UV Filter is easy to replace. The $1000 lens is not.

I'm happy to help with any specific questions you might have, so fire away.

6. BSN

BSN Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1. UV filter that should always be on your lens as a protective barrier.
    Done! 1 for each lens and I had to add a step up to my smaller lens
    2. A polarizer
    Done!
    3. A Neutral Density (or combination of neutral density filters).
    Not sure what this is? I will google it.

Also for lenses, what does the fish eye do? Does it help take panoramic photos?

7. Scott in NH

Scott in NH Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A neutral density filter simply lessens the amount of light getting through the lens. This can be used on super bright occasions when you don't want to have to stop down your aperture a lot, or it can be used in order to create a longer exposure time to create a sensation of movement within the photo (think about those long exposures of streams where all of the surroundings are nice and sharp and the water looks like cotton candy).

A fish eye lens really isn't a great lens for panoramas as I find it too distorting. It's really more of a gimmick lens that creates the effect of looking into a glass gazing globe on a someones front lawn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice