Phone manners...a wee rant

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Feb 13, 2006.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    gbchayctca

Do you live in East L.A.?

2. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ: Ya made me giggle! No, I live in The Bucket, Rhode Island (officially know as Pawtucket, RI). :)

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I answer the phone with "bueno" because it's what you do here. But I gather that I don't have much accent when I say it. Which means people usually launch into some big thing in Spanish, without realizing I'm not fluent, and I get a third of what they are saying even though I ask them to slow down and tell them my Spanish is weak.

There's an art to speaking your native language to someone who is a non-native speaker. And very, very few people here bother to learn that art, instead they just rail at me with that Cancunense mix of Chilango slang and Yucatecan accent...

I know I have to learn the language but if they want me to understand whatever crap they want to sell me they need to slow down when I tell them too.

Oh and I hate how people drive here. I got run OFF the road on Colosio today by a bus! People here are maniacs. Thank god I have a nimble car, I actually find it fun to drive here. But I'm afraid that when my mother comes to visit and sees how I drive now that she will (once again) mourn my loss of innocence...

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    If the land line rings I just ignore it, let them start to leave a message and then pick up if it's someone I know.

Most people who want to speak to me normally call my cellphone. I'm sick of an inordinate amount of wrong numbers, tele sales and rental agencies that I cant swear at properly :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice