Phone manners...a wee rant

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Feb 13, 2006.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am absolutely flabbergasted by the lack of phone manners here in Cancun. Yes, I said flabbergasted. I was taught to always use your most formal speech, yes sir, please, thank you, sorry for disturbing you when on the phone. I was also taught never to identify yourself to someone calling if they don't know who you are. If I dial a wrong number, I am apologetic and friendly.

Now, here in Cancun, I get a LOT of wrong numbers calling me. Their response is either to get mad at me that the party they want is not here, they call back repeatedly or they just plain old hang up. I've had four today alone (thus my rant). I also do NOT tolerate someone asking "Quien habla" as soon as I answer the phone. My response is always "Quien quieres?" which seems to make most callers angry, but no way in heck am I going to identify myself to someone I don't know. Good phone manners dictate that when you call someone you identify yourself and ask for the party you wish to speak to. And I know that it's standard, but it drives me crazy that noone here answers the phone with "hola, soy blank". It's always "Bueno", makes me nuts that they answer the phone saying "Good". "Good" what?? If they said "Buenos dias" or "Buenos tardes" I would understand but "Bueno" just sounds rude to me (I know it's not, but I still can't get used to it).

me- "Hola"
    them- "Quien habla?"
    me- "Quien quieres?"
    them- "Quien habla?"
    me- "Quien quieres?"
    click

ARGH :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thank you for letting me rant. This is not meant to be offensive or a generalization of the people of Mexico, just letting off steam about how the majority of my phone calls go. Ahh, ok, I feel a little better.

2. Sparkey

Sparkey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad we could help. Have a nice day. :D

:) <-- Is it me or does this guy look nervous?

:mad: <-- And this guy looks constipated.

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Sparkey, you made me giggle. Yes, those are some shifty looking emoticons there!

4. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Again, Canuck, we share a brain.

I really am not clear on why the onus of saying who one is is placed on the person answering, and not calling.

Would drive me crazy, but then they get angry at ME. Why would I tell the person who is calling who I am, especially if I know that they're not calling for me?

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it looks like you aren't either!

6. ssandra

ssandra Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    funny.. In the netherlands it is extremely impolite _not_ to mention your name when picking up the phone.

It´s either just your name or goodafternoon/morning and then you name...

And bueno... well i guess its just a way of saying that yes, i´ve answered the phone, now what do you want..?

:)

7. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Then again there are those calls to businesses or Hotels or Restaurants that Answer BUENO I right away ask "A donde Hablo" ( very rarely have I dialed a wrong # being as perfect as I am :p ) drives me nuts when they don't ID themselves or worse mumble.

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to admit I tend to be a smartazz when I get calls like that. I've been known to identify myself as Presidente Fox, Padre Benedicto (the Pope), the Policia Comandante, and various others. I also (knowing that it cost money when someone calls me from a cell phone) will tell someone to hold on while I get the person they want, and set the phone on the table while I go back to whatever I was doing, I only do this after they call again after just being told they have the wrong number. I might also claim to be the person they want, but before they can confirm it I start rambling about the horrible thing that happened with (insert imaginary loved one or belonging here), crying or yelling hysterically whenever they try to find out just what in the hell I'm talking about. I usually don’t get repeat costumers after the second wrong number. :wink:

9. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Nice :lol:

10. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good one. My parent's old number was similar to a pizza delivery place and my dad got fed up with the wrong numbers so started taking orders.

And to be morbid on this lovely heart day, he's even stooped so low as to say, "no I'm sorry, he's passed away". They refused to believe the Jack Johnson wasn't at that number.

BAD DAD BAD!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice