Pets being poisoned on Isla Mujeres???

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by LovinIsla, Sep 14, 2009.

1. LovinIsla

LovinIsla Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So has anyone heard about this or know about it?

I just read on the IslaMujeres.info board that a woman's pet dog died due to strychnine poisoning over the weekend. She's in a great deal of pain about it, which I understand completely. But she seems to suggest in her posts that it wasn't an accident...that her beloved dog was actually poisoned as part of an annual attempt to control the dog population. She doesn't directly point the finger at the local government, but implies that they're behind it!!!!!!

Well, I'm fairly new here. And I realize that Mexican culture is different from American culture, and that dogs aren't treated as well here as they are in the US.

But throwing strychnine-laced beef out for any dog to get? She says that the local vet has seen four other cases recently. And that "the season" is just starting.

From a US citizen who's traveled around the world, I'm not naive...but this is truly shocking to me. I suppose it's a good dose of reality for someone who sometimes thinks he's just moved to paradise, but this seems so dark ages to me, it's hard to comprehend.

Does anyone have any information about this?

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I was under the impression, from talking with those who live at Isla, that this is part of an animal control program to limit the number of stray dogs that run in packs and pose a danger to the local population. (My wife was threatened and badly scared by a group of about nine dogs when she was jogging.) You would think an animal kept home would be in no danger from the eradication program, if that's what it is; but, I am truly sorry for the one that lost a beloved pet in the process, whatever the circumstances.

In Kazakhstan, dogs running at large were shot by animal control- which is a little more direct but poses a danger of a different kind!

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LovinIsla: The neighboring park to where I (across Bonampak from Plaza Nayandei) live has had its visits by "some people" who see it as their mission in life to poison dogs and cats, but also stoning iguanas to death...

I have had huge arguments with these idiots(dont consider them humans...) in the past.

The last time I saw them they were waiting for approx 2.5 hours to get to two iguanas that live in our park... I sat there the whole time watching them, accompanied by my two dogs.

When the iguanas came out for more sun, the 3 men got up and grabbed their sticks and rocks...

I got in between and confronted them, ended up with being pushed and threatened with less than nice words in Spanish, but as soon as I made it clear that I most certainly would release the dogs(two harmless stray doggies) they hesitated and after a few more nice phrases, they took off.

A sausage dog got severely injured a few months ago after eating some of the poison these guys had laid out.

The dogs owner called both the cops and the Municipal office...

They promised to do an investigation, but we haven't heard anything yet(unfortunately not very surprising in Cancun...)

Seems these guys work for the municipal, so some kind of connection should be there.

I find smashed iguanas almost every Sunday morning when taking the pooches out, but also stumble upon kittens, birds and other animals that have been beaten to death.

Considering that humans barely have rights in Mexico, I dont expect dogs, cats and other animals to have any :(

Have you heard about the 40-some Coatis that were poisoned this weekend?

Apparently they were being moved to a "sanctuary" but someone got there before and managed to kill them, plus at least 1 dog and cat, and a couple of birds...

The word is that the responsible ones are connected to Puerto Cancun, so dont expect much to happen about it.

If I'm not completely wrong, Coatis are kind of protected, so maybe there could be some hope? But then again: The mangrove that was destroyed was also "protected" by government laws.

4. Paloma White

Paloma White Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am an anthropologist studying at the Isla Mujeres Ethnographic Field School. I have been on Isla for one month studying the management of dogs and cats on Isla. I am interested in speaking to people about the issue of dog poisonings for my research. All responses can remain anonymous. If you are able to contribute, please contact me via email at paloma.white@hotmail.com, or phone: +52 1 99 84 10 84 50 (WhatsApp, Facebook and Text).

5. canukcun

canukcun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I would not be quick to suspect the local authories on the Island were behind it - however, it is possible that some sort of private security or development corp may have tried "rodent" management, etc... and the small animal ate something intended for rats or some other pest.

Mexican Police Investigation Into Poisoned Dogs Continues Amid Fear and Suspicion | VICE News

Having the dogs stomach pumped to figure out what it ate would have been useful so that if it was intended for other animal control it would be useful.

Not to sound like a Jerk, but people should be watching their pets especially if they have the habit of randomly eating stuff. I've seen a dog who loves playing with stuff they find, people need to train their animals not to eat stuff on the ground.

Sad story none the less whether this happened on private property or not the laws in Mexico are different regarding liabilities for properties causing injury to pets - you more or less should not let your pet on private property.

None the less no clue but I will look into it more.

Get in touch with allowances for private properties or current programs from these people.

Seicop
    Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo
    Mz. 258 Lt. 23 Calle Fernando Fernandez Fracc. Ampliacion La Glori
    044 99 81 542138 / 044 99 81 542096
    Cancun, Quintana Roo
    Reg. 95 Mz. 56 Lt. 19 Calle 24
    044 99 81 274506 / 044 99 81 121492
    Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo
    Calle Palmeras No. 9 Colonia Trgrillo
    (984)
    688-0255 / 688-0257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice