Peso's or Dollars?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Bainsey, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Since we get asked this a lot and for the benefit of others who'll likely find this thread in the future from a search.

Buying travellers cheques (in the UK at least) will either cost you more than 2% or they'll claim there are no charges and give you a terrible rate, or possibly both. That's the only reason travel agencies "recommend" them, no more no less.

Then in Cancun you'll again get screwed on the exchange. You'll have to carry your passport with you to make the exchange and you better make sure the signatures are 100% identical or they'll refuse the deal altogether and leave you holding a useless cheque until you get back home, that happened to my Dad more than once.

Besides, the bank rate is always at least 2% better (and usually more) than the exchange rate you'll get both buying them or selling them.

2. stones902

stones902 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve,

Simple question for you. Since we're visiting Cancun in a little over 10 days, where is the most convenient and best location to exchange dollars into pesos?

If it matters, we're staying at the Royal Islander. I suppose a location near the Royals would work best for us.

Thanks in advance for you good advice!

3. CancunTom

CancunTom Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Royal Islander

We stay at the Royals all the time. They all provide a very fair exchange rate right at the front desk. We were at the Royal Islander this past June. They (all the royals) have a sign at the desk that gives the current exchange rate. We find it very convienent.

4. stones902

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Chicago Tom! BTW, we live near Chicago too.

Since you are familiar with the Royal Islander (this is our first time) any tips, suggestions or else that you can share w/ me is appreciated. My wife and I are staying in a studio unit. We don't have too much planned for the week other than laying on the beach.

5. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always wind up bring plenty of pesos home with me. . .that way I've got beer money at the airport six months later when we go back . . .PLUS. . .I can always buy a pizza in Dallas with them :)

6. CancunTom

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Royal Resorts

The best way to experience the Royal Resorts in Cancun is to just go with the flow. You will be treated to a wonderful experience.
    I would suggest several things to do while in Cancun. The Captain Hook Dinner Cruise, a day trip to Isla Mujeres, a day at Xcaret (stay for the night show), you'll never forget it. I would also spend a evening at La Isla, a very wonderful romantic place. If you like the club scene then hook up with one of Steve's club tours, they can't be beat.
    While at the Islander don't miss having dinner at the Il Conquistator at the Royal Mayan, next door.
    Have fun!!!!!! :cool:

7. stones902

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Chicago for your info. We definitely plan on just going with the flow.

I will make a point of sampling the El Conquistador (sp?).

Hoping for some nice weather...only 10 more days to go!

8. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since you're staying down at the Tri-Royals, be sure to try Paco's Tacos. It's good though kinda Tex-Mexyish to an extent. They've got good tacos al pastor though which are "puro Mexicano". Be sure to do a little ceramic painting. Make the orientation on Sunday and the welcome party Sunday afternoon. Try a banana monkey, and if you like beer, try a michelada (though you really can't taste the beer). If I might suggest, try Hacienda Sisal on whichever night has the Mexican show (ask your concierge to make reservations. . .it's owned by the Royal Resorts and is out front and beside the Royal Sands.)

The breakfast buffet is great at the Royal Resorts, too. Don't be afraid to try the poblanos en crema, chilaquiles, and platanos machos. . .okay. .now i'm hungry. :D

9. Bainsey

Bainsey Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Royal Resorts

Hey Tom, Where is La Isla? I would be interested in finding out more about La Isla if you have any information on the place. :D

10. CancunTom

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Plaza La Isla

It's located along the Blvd Kukulcan on Km 12.5, right on the lagoon, Plaza La Isla is easy to reach by bus or taxi as there is two bus stops and a huge taxi stand right in front. Google for Plaza La Isla, Cancun, to learn all about it. Best to go at night when it's cool out, and all the shops and resturants are lit up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice