Peso's or Dollars?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Bainsey, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Ian

Ian Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah mate it'll work no probs. I've used both Halifax and Nat West Switch/Maestro card over there several times with no probs.

Ian :lol: :lol:

2. Bainsey

Bainsey Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for that everyone.

With all that said though, my girlfriend isnt to keen on taking/using her cards abroad due to theft & possible scanning of her card. So instead she wanted to take travellers cheques but in US Dollars to which I replied...

"You will first lose money changing to dollar travellers cheques from UK Pounds and then again if you change from travellers cheques to Mexican Peso's. Wouldnt you be better to get Sterling Travellers Cheques as then you are only losing out once instead of twice??"

Am I right in what Im saying or is it not possible to exchange sterling travllers cheques in Cancun? :?

3. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some merchants will give you a hard time about the travelers checks. Not all will accept them.

4. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sure the American Express office on Tulum will cash in UKP travellers cheques.

Actually, I'm not really sure, so let's make that a "maybe".

5. Bainsey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think Im gonna take US Dollar travellers cheques after reading this tbh and then transfer them over in my hotel.

That said, Im hoping that my hotel will to be honest. Its the Riu Cancun if that makes any difference?

6. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hotels in general do not give the best exchange rates.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    We're talking about debit cards here and ATM machines, not credit cards. You cant use UK debit cards for purchases, only for withdrawing cash from the machine. You've got much more chance of having your debit card skimmed in the UK than you have here.

Still, the missus is always right :wink:

8. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, this thread got complicated!

It's very simple, if you were going for a night out in London would you take travellers cheques for fear of someone skimming your card in an ATM machine? No.

So just come on holiday with your Cashcard and draw pesos out of the bank machines here for a better rate and much less hassle as and when you need them.

Travellers cheques are a bit 80's mate.

9. Bainsey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, Two things...

1. This aint london, where we can easily talk to our local bank.

2. Travellers Cheques are most definately not 80's. Absolutely tons of people I know use them when going on holiday and no Im not a pensioner, quite the opposite actually! lol! :lol:

I get charged 2% for using my card abroad anyways so travellers will probably the way I go.

10. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Getting info like that is why it's always good to get info from your bank.

Luckily my bank doesn't charge me much of a fee so using the ATM makes sense for me.

But if you're getting a surcharge you'd rather not pay then it may not be the best way for you.

Bottom line is do what you are comfortable with and don't worry about what anyone else tells you that you should be doing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice