Permanent Residency Requirements

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,210 / 14
    Didn't see this before. No I've not checked online but Mauricio said yesterday it would be another 2 weeks and there are no problems. It did get held up in the holiday shutdown, it happens every year.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Friday I got the online notice to report to the INM offices to complete the process for permanent residency, based on the points system.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,210 / 14
    I expect mine should be ready or thereabouts then, since your application was 2 days after mine.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Steve, I expect you're right. You could go online and check to see if the notice I mentioned has appeared in your case.

Scorpio, my post of Nov 22 on this thread gives all the details available, at this point.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Where are you, these days? Russian Language training programs seem to be appearing everywhere here, now.

Working independently, delivering Russian Language classes, continues to be an option under the new laws that went into effect in November. Applications for visas to perform this type of work are made at embassies and consulates of Mexico, around the world.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nice. Although you'd said you'd be coming to the area in early November I don't recall you mentioning, subsequently, that you'd arrived, and imagined your plans had changed.

Good luck with everything!

7. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Good to hear things are moving- my daughters application for a visa went in on 30th November and her status is ""clasifiado"since 12th Dec.She is desperate to hear soon . Feel encouraged that you now have yours V and Steves is moving along.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hopefully you'll hear something soon, Tracey. Steve, what's the latest on your application?

Eventhough we can now check the status of our cases online it doesn't remove the frustration of waiting, checking from time to time and seeing no movement on the case.

In the past when that's occurred with one of my cases I've gone to INM and inquired: on the majority of those cases it either produced movement or I was told to please wait just a little longer. I never had a process take over five weeks at the outside.

My application for permanent residency went to "classificado" in just about two weeks; then, discounting the break for Christmas holidays, another two weeks for me to get the notice online to come into the offices, meaning they were ready to start the process to generate the hard card.

T.J. missed the chance to become the first in Cancun to get to permanent residency when he elected to proceed under the old law and filed for renewal before the new law went into effect. I was advised to do the same but decided to wait until the new law went into effect so I could be among the first to ask for permanent residency based on points.

9. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Our current FM2 doesn't expire until August, but wondering in advance just what we'll end up with the new regulations. I need to send a message off to Mauricio. We're fortunate that we qualify for any of the new salary requirements, however we've only had our FM2 for two years. I'd think we would score high on the points as well. Will be interesting to see!

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Most straightforward route would be to renew your FM2 for two years when it comes up for renewal (you need four, as one path to permanent residence). At the time of this writing, you would need no proof of finances for a renewal (just a letter from you in which you state that your financial situation hasn't changed), making it simpler and the transition to permanent residency is then also straightforward.

You could also let your FM2 expire, present proof of finances along with your application for permanent residency, and go directly to permanent residency, as I understand it, though any such move would jeapordize your exemption for capital gains taxes should you try to sell your Mexican residence later, if you have one at this time, and allowing any lapse of an existing migratory document should be carefully considered before allowing it to happen.

Proceeding under the points system, as I did, is also an option. Your application would probably be stronger in some areas, weaker in others, than mine was yet still meet the criteria. I had no international awards, and had not invested heavy sums of money in Quintana Roo, yet I was able to directly establish that I was contributing to the development of Mexico through my work, mainly. In my case, actively working to develop the capacity of Mexican professionals, doctors and university professors, was essential to making the case. One aspect of the points system is the concept of making a meaningful contribution to the development of the country, and should be considered when putting together documents in support of your application.

As a practical matter, given that these decisions are made by human beings, establishing a high degree of integration into the Mexican society is also a relevant consideration, making anything you can include in the application that would show long term intent to be here useful in meeting the unwritten requirements of the points system (speaking of those things that can tip a decision in a decision makers mind, and are part of any carefully considered presentation of a case in which someone is clothed with discretionary powers).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice