Permanent Residency Requirements

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 12, 2012.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Fortunately, she can do this, as a practical matter, even without documentation, simply by leaving the country every 180 days and returning: there has been no change in the law in respect to this, up to this point, and this has been the case, apparently, for many years.

Something worth considering is whether both you and your husband have ten years of employment in the U.S. in which you participated in social security. This would give you double retirement benefits when you, yourself, reach that age and could be an important part of a life plan that includes life in Mexico.

2. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,210 / 14
    Interesting stuff, I'll republish it here. It's fine to syndicate content if you cite the source with a link.

Worth noting that this is the Merida office, it should be the same in Cancun but you never can be sure.

Source: INM Regional Office Requirements for Getting Mexican Residency and Immigration Rules – Updates | Surviving Yucatan

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,210 / 14
    Permanent Residency Application Part 2

Mauricio came to pick up our papers yesterday. We had everything but didn't have copies of some of them, so he didn't take them all. I kind of expected that he'd make copies for any we didnt have. Seems not.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Agreed, and the owners of that website take pains to try to give accurate information. Summaries, like they give, necessarily leave out many details. Those who want to know more will have to read the law, rules, and instructions to the INM agents, all officially published online.

Of the three routes to permanent residency I´m going to be choosing the application based on points route.

I went by INM today and they told me that the full details of how to apply the point system have not been established, but to go ahead and apply anyway, so I will, believing I have nothing to lose: if the application for a change of status to permanent residency is ultimately denied, I´ll simply renew as a temporary resident.

6. davisod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "This same condition is being reported from Yucalandia readers across Mexico."

Yucalandia has a national following, it would seem. I would suggest, all of us (re)applying in Cancun, add to Yucalandia's national "database" re how the changes are interpreted here. It could be useful, especially if something that's interpreted in a "stupid" way here, is done being done "right" elsewhere.

I, for one, will email Yucalandia of my (re)applying experience here in March - as well as readers here too, of course.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Not surprising, given that the laws in question are passed at the national level, and are national in application.

I´ve yet to hear of a single, credible difference from jurisdiction to jurisdiction in the way cases are being handled under the new law.

8. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I applaud Migracion for doing this. Over the years I have met one too many foreigners who've wanted my maid's job (200 pesos a visit) or rents lower than prevailing Mexican rent. We should be braced to live in a resort destination with it's inflationary pressures and not be looking for a nearly free ride.

9. davisod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's brand spanking new. Give it time............

Like Steve says, "Worth noting that this is the Merida office, it should be the same in Cancun but you never can be sure."

As soon as the Migracion guys here start figuring out a way to get a propina from applicants, things may get muddled. Scammers are always looking to get one step ahead; and every office has one. On top of that, you've got your clerks who just want to make everyone else's life miserable. And that's not to mention the clerks who are just plain stupid (like many in the DMV in Halifax).

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Tomorrow, I´ll be going in armed with 23 documents to submit, attempting to build up points as required for permanent residency based on points. They want proof of educational attainments, work experience- especially including work which can contribute to the development of the country, though it isn´t quite stated that way- information about any investments you may have made, your knowledge of Spanish, and knowledge of Mexican Culture. I´ll include as much info as I can to show we have a personal stake in Mexico, and any evidence that may help establish an effort on our part to integrate, here. To some degree, this will be a judgment on their part, so I hope strength in some areas will make up for weaknesses in others.

I´ve not heard of anyone attempting this, anywhere, up to this point in the life of the new laws, so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

New to the process is a thousand peso fee that has to be paid with the application: this, in addition to the fees charged for the documentation itself.

Here is what is said about residency based on points, in the new regulations-
    Reference is made to how the points required are to be allocated between categories, but this has not been published, so far as I can tell, so they´re perhaps running a little behind on this.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice