Permanent Residency Requirements

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 12, 2012.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Pure superstition, in my opinion. The two tramites would have been handled separately and have had no connection with each other- the duty of the person holding a migratory document to renew in a timely fashion, or apply for a change of status in a timely fashion as you did, and the duty to report changes of address being independent of each other.

But, with you're having 90 days from the date of the move to submit it, and your move occurring in February, it's easy to see why Mauricio wouldn't think it necessary to do anything about this, yet: I'd have taken the same approach, under these circumstances. Looks like you've still got about another five weeks to get this one in.

2. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ......the old adage, "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" fits every country's red tape....This is a popular saying in Canada - but may be elsewhere too.

3. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In Merida, I was required to show a lease when I moved, so they knew I was past the deadline and fined me 1000 pesos, I believe. Don't remember exactly how much.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Superstition is believing walking under a ladder is unlucky. Believing immigration might mess up a process is far from being superstitious.

Which document would they apply the address change to? The one they had on file that had expired or the one that wasn't yet issued?

All kinds of potential for things to get messed up and much better to wait and make sure it's done correctly.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Interesting. I'll bear that in mind.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The concept that is applied is that the requirements are personal; that is, they apply to the person- whether we're talking about an immigration status or an address change- not to the immigration document.

Lots of people let address changes go, but they could run into the situation Tristan spoke of: Steve's still got plenty of his 90 days left, though, so he should manage to get this done in time.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  7. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can confirm that one ;)

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    No, but believing that notifying them of an address change while someone has an application for residency pending will cause them to mess up is: there is as much chance of the one influencing the other as stepping on a crack while an application is pending.

To apply the same reasoning would lead one to stay in Mexico while an application is pending- fearing that asking for permission to leave and return would cause INM to mess up on the pending application; but, once again, the one has nothing to do with the other. Imagining that they do is the definition of superstition.

9. hacienda b

hacienda b Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will find out about this,
    changing from 4 years fm3 rentista,
    the next weeks.

I believe it when I hold the permanent card in hand,
    in a few months, ... if!

10. hacienda b

hacienda b Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good to know. :icon_eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice