Perm Resid Issues, Cancun INM

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Mar 7, 2013.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Time to card issuance

I wonder if anyone has had a recent experience with what it's taking now, in terms of weeks following fingerprinting, to get the hard card for residency, temporary or permanent?

Recently a reader PM'd me asking if four weeks wait should be worrying: based on my experience and others, several months ago, the answer was "no" because six weeks seemed to be more the norm; but, I don't know what it has become, now, whether less or more!

Anyone have something to report on this, if they got their hard card in April, May or June, for example?

2. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No experience on that particular part, but my wife went in this week to check on her renewal. After one month they haven't even looked at it, so things are definitely much slower than they used to be. I used to have my visa in hand within a month.

3. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For me, it was exactly 4 weeks from the fingerprints to the green card (which I got on May 16th).

4. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all......I'm still here, but mostly lurk, due to the fact that I live in Veracruz and the laws are "interpreted" shall we say? so much differently in Cancun. Plus, I am still trying to move from Veracruz to Quintana Roo but that's a long story.

Anyway, from this side of the country, we are hearing a rumor (emphasis on "rumor") that people who lived in Mexico and had cars permitted, under the old FM-3/FM-2/FMM visas, could grandfather 1 car per person in as a foreign plated vehicle, upon becoming a permanent resident. The rumor even says that this is still in the "discussion" stage. Maybe one of you here, could do some digging to see if this is in fact a possibility for the future. But like many of y'all, this is a big consideration for me too. Owning a Mexican plated car is a huge hassle, what with all the inspections every 6 months.....but then I am spoiled because I live in Florida, where there are no safety or emissions inspections. Registrations are good for 2 years, and now a driver's license is for 10 years.

I have the name (only) of a lady in Puerto Escondido, who professes to be able to get a "letter of exceptional permission," from some government agency, allowing a permanent resident to keep a foreign plated car. I have no idea how much it costs, but already smell a rat. Methinks she has just gotten a hold of some government stationary ...and then made more. And for a fee, she will write this letter and forge a signature. It would probably work at a military checkpoint.....I wonder about a Federal Police checkpoint. People here are checking further into this, just to see if it is legit.

5. tristan1749

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What inspections every six months?

6. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't you have emissions inspections every 6 months? I believe we do here in Veracruz.

Like I said earlier....Quintana Roo and especially Cancun is often different from other parts of the country. For example, here we sail through visa renewals, as compared with you people. No one hires a lawyer, because it just isn't needed. This last time, I didn't even have to give copies of certain documents (my passport for one).

7. tristan1749

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've lived in Cancun and Merida over the last 11 years and never heard of inspections. That doesn't mean there aren't any. Merida was also a breeze to renew visas. It took about two weeks. There SRE was also a lot more helpful in matters of citizenship and even had less restrictions. Go figure. It seems like all that would be regulated federally, but I guess each office can set higher restrictions than the federal government does.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I heard of something about emission inspections a few years back. I seem to recall the local government 'auctioned off' the rights to run the testing operation.

Never heard anything more though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice