Perils of New Immigration Laws

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Feb 1, 2013.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If there is one important thing to keep in mind, given the new laws governing immigration to Mexico, it is that if you've got an immigration status in Mexico now by all means don't let it lapse. Those who do may find it difficult to impossible to get themselves reestablished here.The reasons for it are several.

First, if you are here in what used to be called "Visitante Rentista" status, you may find you cannot now qualify financially if you let your status lapse and have to launch an entirely new application. Furthermore, whereas you could apply for this status in Mexico, under the old law, you would now have to apply for a visa at a Mexican Embassy or Consulate abroad, before you reenter Mexico.

Second, if you are here with an immigration status which includes permission to work, it's possible to transfer this status from one employer to the next, seamlessly; whereas, if you lose this status, you must leave the country and apply abroad, facing much stricter scrutiny of the entire process in determining if a foreigner is needed to fill the position.

Anyone who allows their immigration status to lapse does themselves a huge disservice if they have any intention of staying in Mexico longer.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scary but still easier than Mexicans trying to go to the U.S. Well, legally that is.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Anybody who's got one of these documents must not let it lapse, or surrender it, thinking they'll just get another one later. It's far too demanding to get a new one, now that the law has changed in relation to the requirements I mentioned earlier, than it was under the old law.

There are many who now hold FM2/3s who simply would not qualify if they had to apply under the new law, either to get documentation to live here on their own resources, or to get permission to work.

Many who read this forum are currently working in Mexico, with official permission to work: they must not allow any break in the chain of renewals from year to year or they may never be able to get permission to work here again.

Yes, scary....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice