Pay in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Feb 27, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Several possibilities come to mind, ToriB, and you could explore them, if you've got an open channel of communication with the prospective employer.

One simple one is that they don't want to incur the expense of getting you a visa. If this is the case, they might be happy to make you a job offer, and get you an FM3, on your promise to pay the fees associated with it, about 2,500 pesos, last time I was in the office. If they agree that that's the hold up, and you're willing to pay if they will carry the process forward, I suggest you get the codes necessary (I and many others have them) and pay these fees directly to the bank, rather than handing over the money to the prospective employer.

If they're accustomed to having this done by a lawyer, there could be a further hold up, their not being willing to incur this cost, either. If that's the case, you could offer to apply for the visa yourself, provided they write you an extremely strong letter in which they explain why they need you, and only you, for this job; otherwise, the application could fail at the point of someone asking why it is necessary to fill this position with a foreigner. It's not the end of the world, if this happens, but you'd lose the job prospect, and just under 500 pesos, if it did (this smaller sum, because you only have to pay the remaining, heftier part of the fees if the visa is approved).

Frustrating, if it goes no where, this time, but sometimes there is no solution and you just keep looking, as Gringation did, until something clicks for you.

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No, V..we already spoke through email of me absorbing the cost myself and doing the FM3 on my own with Mauricio as long as I had the letter from them. I interviewed with the HR Manager yesterday and that is not the case. Not at this Hotel. I would be one of only three Non Mexicans there, and the other two have been Mexican Citizens for atleast 10 yrs. They need someone to start right now, and they must already have permission to work in Mexico. And I have been looking for 6 months now. NOTHING is clicking.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tori - I strongly recommend that you look into trying to get an FM2 upfront, and not bothering to ever get an FM3. The Cancun INM office may not approve this, and Mauricio will know whether they will or not.

But if you are marrying a Mexican and plan to live here for the foreseeable future having an FM2 as early as possible will probably give you real benefits, namely that you will be eligible for either Naturalization or Permanent Residency (Inmigrado status) much sooner then if you first had an FM3.

I also think you should get legally married before you bother to get an FM2, it will make things simpler regarding your immigration.

4. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, Hector and I talked last night and he is for the marriage now thing. I sent Mauricio an email asking him a few questions about it, so I guess we shall see what he says. Thanks for all your help, and recommending going this route.

5. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tori, you should apply for the Real Club, level 3 at the Best Day building on Bonempak. It's 100% commision but it's an easy sell. Or they might need people in the marketing department depending on your work experience.

Have you checked computabajo.com and the newspaper?

6 months seems like along time not to have a job!

6. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    6 months is a long time, and I am starting to lose my mind!!!! I am thankful for an amazing boyfriend who works his tail off to give us a nice life here.

I go on computabajo about every other day, and it's always the same places and with me know being bilingual, it's very limited. I have contacted a dozen or so hotels with my resume and get responses like we have nothing for you at this moment or we do not hire foreigners.

I had an opportunity at Bestday, and someone who comes on here kind of screwed that one up for me.

I got a text from AquaWorld a little while ago to go in for an interview. That is 100% Commission, so we shall see what happens there.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    ToriB wrote:
    That employer must be ultra fastidious: I would think many employers would be satisfied just to know that your FM2/3 application had been approved by INM, a step that, in my experience, takes just a week from the time the application is dropped off, with supporting documents.

If you drop your papers in on a Tuesday, for example, they will tell you to come back on the Tuesday following, at which time you will find out one of three things, in all probability, as follows: a) the application has been approved; b) they will require further documentation or clarification; or, c) the application has been denied, outright.

If, upon your return, at the end of the one week period, you are given an exact day and time to return to the office, you will know your application's been approved.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  8. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not for them...Had the interview Tues, and wanted me to start Wed...with the permission already guaranteed, without their help.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tori - If you marry your Mexican, you gain the right to work in Mexico. But the company you go work for STILL is required to meet the requirements for hiring a foreigner. They still have to prove to INM that no more than 10% of their employees are foreigners.

So if you had your FM2 or FM3 based on marriage to a Mexican then you would technically have permission to work in Mexico. But you will not get permission to work for a specific company until that company steps up and proves to INM that they meet the reqs.

In other words there are two steps to getting permission to work here, one part is approved if you the foreigner meet the reqs. And the other part is approved if the company you work for meets the reqs. If you marry a Mexican then your side of this is pre-approved.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm grateful, as I'm sure other readers are, for the far more detailed information that has been submitted, recently, of expats' experiences in the job market, here. Many people are reluctant to offer the detail such as Gringation, and ToriB, have done, and it helps to get a better feel for what it's like to be in this, rather tough it seems, job market.

Since this thread was started with the intention of offering information about what the better jobs in Cancun pay, I'll update, just a little, on that theme.

As I mentioned earlier on this thread, I will change any salary figures I've posted here, if the data changes.

Regarding State University teachers in Cancun, that won't be necessary. A dept head confirmed for me, yesterday, that starting teachers- Bachelor's degree, no experience- are, indeed, paid 18,000 pesos/month.

I also had a chance to follow up on that report of salaries for IT, in a single company I'm familiar with. It turns out, as Matkirk suspected, that the man in question- with the large salary- is the department head: he has seven others under him, each of whom is paid between 22,000 and 28,000 pesos/month (this, from another department head in the same, wholly foreign owned, Mexican company, with approximately 170 employees: a single individual is the founder, and major shareholder, of this company).

For those with significant business experience, or a marketable service to offer, starting your own company remains the way to make the most money, in Mexico. The most visibly successful of the expats I know have done this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice