Pay in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Feb 27, 2010.

1. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    really

V,

I appreciate your passion for this board. I don't think most of us come here to defend our statements or prove our points but, you seem intent on proving that your initial post was correct.

I believe this forum is so valuable because there is/was a freedom to discuss subjects/topics and have people provide various comments/interpretations and not have the initial poster continually attempt to prove their initial post.

Thanks for your input but, we can all have our opinion and it is really not necessary to defend your position constantly. It is a lot funner when opposing thoughts can be discussed freely. Now I am waiting for a post that will prove this post incorrect and that some poster is correct and how does my post not support that uggh............

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My understanding is the best pay in Cancun goes to plastic surgeons and the head honchos in various organized crime rings here.

3. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll throw out some specific numbers, since when we arrived here, Laura was looking at and interviewing for some jobs. Laura has a bachelor's degree in computer information systems and a master's degree in numerical analysis. Needless to say, there are very, very few jobs here in her particular area of expertise. (Salaries per month)

-Manager of Guest Relations at a mid-range hotel on 10th Av: $12,500 MXP.
    -Assistant Front Desk Manager at the RIU Yucatan: $11,000 MXP.
    -Database/PHP Programmer for a jewelry store chain: $9,000 MXP.
    -Director of Administration for some construction company: $45,000 MXP.

Hmmm...that's all I can remember. I was pretty surprised (although prepared) for how low the wages were. The Admin Director position was [relatively] well compensated, but the list of requisites was also a mile long. From my experience, the super-majority of folks down here make less than $10,000 MXP/month.

To contrast: I don't have any direct experience with the above positions in the US, except for Database/PHP programmer, which would have a salary range from $40k to $85k USD typically.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Rivergirl wrote, speaking of what people working in the government sector make:
    I've made a point of trying to get numbers, and verify the numbers by crossreferencing what I was told with another source, where possible.

What I've found is that many of the highest paying positions seem to be with government jobs, and posted the numbers.

Since you seem to disagree, Rivergirl, without saying what your husband makes, could you tell us what people working in similar positions in INM are paid, as another example of government sector work?

I've said on this, and on another thread where salaries were questioned, I'll revise any number that I post, if the data changes.

The information I posted here may not be of interest to everyone; not everyone will be curious enough to make an inquiry such as I did; and, John, I understand your point about people amusing themselves by posting here, when they are not seeking answers to questions. But, a dialog or discussion is also possible, where people exchange their ideas and information in a respectful way: in this thread, that seemed to be what was occuring, in the main, with T.J.'s post one you could read either way; since then, Coby has offered his contribution to the dialog. On the otherhand, a response that merely mocks one or more of those engaged in it, or the information they've offered, is a distraction, if not worse.

My point in starting this thread was to provide some information that went beyond what is commonly known. All of us know jobs in Mexico, in the main, don't pay very much. I was questioning whether some don't pay more, and I found that there are some, which I've mentioned here.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  5. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "My point in starting this thread was to provide some information that went beyond what is commonly known."

Seems like what is "commonly known" is a lot more than what you know. Like John says, share your opinions and what you know--or think you know--and let it go!

6. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim,

You said it much better and more efficiently than I did.

John

7. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last time I was in Cancun (November), I took a shuttle to the hotel zone from the airport. It cost $20. The driver told me that he makes 130 pesos a day plus tips. I wondered if that was his true "salary" or if he was trying to get us to give him a bigger (sympathy) tip. Seems like a good business to have if the owner pays only $10 per day and gets $20+ per trip. On only 5 trips per day, the driver would get his $10 and the owner $90 (before expenses).

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    While I can't speak to that particular driver, it would be around $4,000 pesos a month which could be the truth if he also gets tips. ($4,000 pesos base plus ~$20+ usd tips per day wouldn't be bad by local standards)

That being said, it's not above some people to lie hoping to get bigger sympathy tips. I was once told by the guides on a snorkeling boat that they "only worked for tips" which I knew was a lie since I know the owner of the operation.

So you should tip whatever you want (and is reasonable), and not worry about what their base salary may or may not be. IMHO

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Continuing to try to flesh out what people with the better paying jobs in Cancun earn at their jobs, I've been told that newly qualified doctors (having completed their post grad training), working in the public sector, start at a salary of 24,000 pesos per month. (While in training, I was told, they are paid half that.)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  10. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    24.000/month for a Doctor..?

Have a friend who works as a Doc, so I will try to ask her to see what she says.

I know she works nightmare shifts, since the salary is so bad.

Does anyone know what the same position would pay in US..?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice