passport issues

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by PEACHES123, May 14, 2007.

1. stephenj

stephenj Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Marh 2007 to now? sheesh

I am just in knots over this. a $3K vacation hangs in the balance. I have trip insurance, but it does not cover tickets earned with FF miles. The condo owner is a family friend who I cannot really demand a refund from.... this is gonna give me an ulcer.

The NPIC staff member said to call tomorrow morning and check in.

You can bet that I will be doing just that.

Steve

2. R.I. GAL

R.I. GAL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :chuck: :evil: :evil: :evil: :chuck: :evil: :evil: :evil: :chuck:

I cannot imagine how you must be feeling Stephen.....my trip is 3 weeks away and I'm a basket case :( :(

3. stephenj

stephenj Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    just go ahead and shoot me..... please!

An update: I was at my desk at 6a, this morning, 5/24/2007, and immediately got the "we cannot take your call at this time" from the wonderful NPIC. It took about 10 minutes - at 6AM! - to finally get in the queue to talk to a rep.

"Laura" said that my daughters passport was "pretty much done" and I could "probably" get a FedEx tracking number later this afternoon - "most likely".

She said they were aware of my travel date (this sunday, 7am from Atlanta) and were doing everything they could to get this passport expedited and in the FedEx system. with Saturday Delivery, if necessary.

She admitted that this most likely did not make me feel any better - and I had to laugh at that (and felt like vomiting, to be honest).

I am not asking for any special favors from these folks - but I played by the rules. I applied for this passport in early March. The passport rep said "10 weeks, but to be honest it should be here in less than six weeks". Everyone I have spoken with is as nice as they can be, but they do not have a non-refundable vacation at risk!

My wife and I are snipping at each other, and my 15 y/o is being very smug about it (she doesn't want to go and leave her boyfriend for 2-1/2 weeks, but that is another story).... it isn't suppsed to be like this!

More later.

Steve

4. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    wow....at least it sounds a 'bit' more promising this morning....keep us updated! I am saying prayers for you now. Wow, I would have an ulcer too!

5. stephenj

stephenj Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Friday morning, 48 hrs to go. No passport. But all is not (y

I was so hoping that the 5pm call today to the NPIC would bring good news. It did not.

It took 15 minutes of continuasl redialing to get through (thanks to the poster who recommended the 1-3-1 prompts). The NPIC staff member was very apologetic, but said they had word all day on my daughters passport (all day?) but it was not yet complete.

So now, at best, i fthey get it done today (Friday), I might get it on SAturday via FedEx. We leave Sunday morning at 7am.

Fook.

I hung up and pretty much went outside to drink myself into a stupor.... but then the phone rang. It was Senator Chambliss' office. Barbara said that she had info on the passport - she said that the passport was in the bookprint area - and once printed, it would be shipped out.

Maybe even last night or first thing in the morning! She said she would call me back this morning (Friday) with more info, but that she was asssured by her contacts in the NPIC that my passport was among the group that was for travel on 5-27 (Sunday) - and they would all go out today (Friday) via Fedex overnight with Saturday Delivery.

So, all is not lost! But I will feel better once Saturday comes around and the passport gets here. Or even once that call comes this morning and Barbara tells me that the passport has actually been FedEx'ed and gives me the tracking number.

This is absoltely maddening - and makes me furious at our federal government. How dare "they" drag citizens through anguish like this - my goodness, why is this madness permitted or tolerated? I guess there will be time enough for action after the damn passport gets here.

as a final comment for this rant, I did ask Barbara if I could get my daughter out of the country wihtout a passport. She checked the State Department web page and found that all Mexico requires is a proof of identification (birth certificate) and a photo ID to get in or out of the country. It is the USA that reqires the passport. But she is going to check and see if we could get out of the country without her passport - for my bro-in-law and his family (who paid for "expedited passports" just about 6 weeks ago - and got them) could bring ehr passport to Mexico with them when they come next Friday.

More later - today!

Steve

6. ELLABEAR424

ELLABEAR424 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have faith that you will get it.
    Aren't 15 yr olds fun?????????

7. R.I. GAL

R.I. GAL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds very promising Steve :D :D

Our wonderful government should have done the mandatory passport in phases starting with less frequently traveled places and gradually added other destinations :!: :!:

What a headache :evil:

I am finding it difficult to get excited for my trip worrying about if my passport will get here in time and since I am traveling for work if I will still have a job if it doesn't :(

8. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    wow, the stress you have had!!!!!

well hopefully they will call ASAP this morning with the tracking info so you can bombard the delivery website on its progress. :D

And thats a good backup plan for her to come down on Friday...but make sure you sign the appropriate documents to let them bring her with them if thats the case.

I agree...they should have at least a waiver for those that have one processing, but it isn't printed...like a letter wtih a raised seal or something to go along with a birth certificate for these highly traveled places. :?

9. R.I. GAL

R.I. GAL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hope we get some good news from you today Steve :cool: :!:

10. ELLABEAR424

ELLABEAR424 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    please tell me that you got your passport today!!!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice