Passport Issues in the US to cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by whdream, Jun 18, 2007.

1. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Saw this article, quite interesting for all those folks who think you can travel with a paper that says you have applied for a passport...And don't have one yet..

http://www.citizensvoice.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18480162&BRD=2259&PAG=461&dept_id=571464&rfi=6

Overseas travel causing headaches locally
    BY ERIN MOODY
    STAFF WRITER
    06/15/2007
    Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
    Some local travelers who gave up on receiving long-delayed travel documents ran into problems last weekend when they tried to enter Mexico with only proof they had applied for passports.

Moosic travel agent George Seldon had to re-book two passengers to Puerto Rico this weekend when they were denied entry into Cancun, Mexico.

“This is all so new, that when [US Airways] sent a flight down to Cancun, 31 people were not allowed to enter Cancun and were sent back to the U.S.,” he said.

Margie Mateos and Christopher Wade, both from Wyoming, had tickets for another, later flight, but airport officials wouldn’t allow them to travel because of the high possibility of Mexico denying the couple entry.

About a dozen other travelers were kept off of the flight for the same reason, Mateos said.

“It’s really frustrating,” she said. “Everybody has a false sense of security. We are getting jerked around by the passport agency.”

While US Airways flew the couple to Puerto Rico for free, Mateos said, she doesn’t know if she will be able to recoup any of the $3,300 spent on the Cancun vacation.

While the U.S. government eased rules Friday to allow citizens traveling to Canada, Bermuda, Mexico and the Caribbean to use a government-issued ID and proof of passport application instead of an official passport, those countries have not necessarily eased their rules, according to a press statement from the U.S. Department of State.

“That’s fine and dandy that the U.S. government says you can leave and come back without a passport,” Seldon said. “But apparently [other countries] haven’t rolled back their regulations the same way the U.S. did.”

While the overall volume of calls and complaints about passport problems has decreased since Friday’s announcement, some issues do remain, according to a statement from a U.S. State Department official. Government officials are working with nearby countries to solve any problems travelers are having, the official said.

The office of Congressman Chris Carney, D-Dimock Township, also received a complaint from travelers who were unable to cross into Mexico last weekend and is working to help them secure their passports and continue their trip, Communications Director Rebecca Gail said.

Continental Airlines sent out a fax alert Tuesday clarifying the situation.

While the United States has relaxed its policy, passengers must also follow requirements for countries they plan to enter or exit.

According to the alert, besides the passport or proof of application and a government-issued photo ID, all travelers should bring other documents required by the country they are visiting.

Bringing those proper documents can become an issue, however, when a birth certificate is required. Original certificates are sent in with the passport applications, so many people waiting for their passport do not have a birth certificate to take on their trip, Seldon said.

emoody@citizensvoice.com, 570-821-2105

2. hw711

hw711 Moderator/Dance Machine Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I still don't understand how there are still so many people in this country without a passport.

3. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm amazed at how many people wait until they book a trip to get one, and then are astonished when it's late arriving.

4. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know..It's silly.

I personally wouldn't EVEN feel comforatble travelling with papers that SAId I have applied for one, and that was my only confirmation??

5. Greta

Greta Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Those papers could easily be false too... I agree.. Passports should be aquired before even booking your trip, that way you know you will be safe...

6. rikib004

rikib004 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's crazy especially when you compare to us over in the UK

74% of people had passports as of 2003 I saw, I expect that number to either stayed the same or increased too

7. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well cause Riki, over in Britain, they tend to travel more I think....

8. rikib004

rikib004 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well you know we discovered alot of places, travel is in our blood :D :D

9. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah yeah, I am saying that cause I know the amount of travelling my parents did when they lived back home..

10. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If my country was that small I'd go other places too! :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice