Passport card

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Windknot, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a new passport card out now. Seems a helluva lot more convenient than the book, although I never have my passport on my person in Mexico. But I'm just wondering if anyone has one yet, and if so, if there have been any problems with Mexican officials accepting them. Would be nice to just be able to bring a copy of the card for FM-3 and FM-2 renewals, but that would be too easy, so I don't see that happening.

Costs only $20 for 10 years....if you already have a passport.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's correct, and my error for not mentioning that. I guess most of you in Cancun fly back to the States, since it's so convenient. But for another form of ID, that could substitute for a passport (like for a trip to Belize) I think the $20 for 10 years is well worth it.

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only reasons one would really need to carry around a passport in Cancun are for dealing with the banks, notaries, or immigration, and I doubt very much that any of them would accept the passport cards as a valid ID...

Its a good idea and perhaps in another 10 years the "books" will be a thing of the past, but for now, other than for those people who live near the border and cross routinely, I don't see much benefit to having them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice